Breeding of Corydoras panda

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Breeding of Corydoras panda

Unread post by juanico »

Since the success of breeding CPDs I have tried to breed some other species, but the hot temperatures made it impossible..so I switched to survival mode :D .
Since the temperature has become moderate in the past few weeks, finally I am able to continue my experiments.

Corydoras panda are small, pretty coloured catfish. Their peaceful behavior makes them perfect tank mates for community tanks. They do not harm plants and do not dig too deep in the substrate, so they are also perfect for a planted tank setup…however, tanks, which have the whole bottom covered by carpet plants are not ideal for pandas, since they love to dig in the ground all the time.

It is a schooling fish, which feels more confident and safe in groups.
Their favorite temperature is around 22C…so a bit difficult to keep during Delhi summers, but mine were doing fine in 27C…for a couple of weeks.

With decreasing temperature I separated a group of 7: 5 females and 2 males.
In a 2ft tank, just equipped with some old substrate, pots, java fern and a air-sponge-filter. I tried to cool down the temperature as much as possible by using pc-fans…24C is the lowest I was able to reach so far.

For spawning I added a woollen mop, which is also used for breeding of killi fish.

Conditioning of the parents took around 10 weeks with frozen mosquito larvae, micro worms and tetra bits.
No water changes and only scarce feeding in the first 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I started to change the water frequently, using more and more RO water, with increasing of water level.
Parallel the amount of food was increased, particularly more frozen mosquito larvae.
Still, nothing happened. Maybe the temperature was still too high, maybe the parents not matured enough.
I just continued the proceedings, without paying too much attention.
Although never seen any eggs, after another 3 weeks I found some frys swimming in the parents tank.

Now I searched the woollen mop frequently and finally found some eggs attached after a few days.

The eggs are quite firm, almost like sand grains.

In a separate tank the frys hatch after 4-5 days and feed 2-3 days from their yolk. After that I start to feed them powdered tetra bits, and micro worms…do not know if they eat it, but they grow and develop.

3 days old:

After 2,3 weeks:

After 4-5 weeks:

I was able to raise 23 pandas in 3 months now. Fellow breeders report 15-20 eggs per week per pair, which I have not reached so far. I hope this will improve with falling temperatures and once my parent pandas get more matured.

I am very open to advices, how to improve the spawning rate.
zico_aqua

Re: Breeding of Corydoras panda

Unread post by zico_aqua »

wow!! it's a beautiful journal kudos my man! congratulations!!! send some of em' to blore..:)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Really Nice. Can you please also update the Breeding project of Killi fish? I am curious to know about those.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

Juanico I too love to have them on my tank one day.....Really appreciate your stage wise pic demonstrating different stages :goodpost

cheers
Rajeev
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

:goodpost another great breeding journal from you, i hope this will also become a sticky :clp
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

wojtek, hats off to you man, you did it again :clp :clap
Sushant
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:Really Nice. Can you please also update the Breeding project of Killi fish? I am curious to know about those.
i too am particularly interested is this project, any updates on this?
Sushant
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

uff,nice work.i am try on mines :clp
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

Wonderful Wojtek...as always, well done and so well documented. You have certainly helped us, hobbyists, get more methodical and scientific!
jack

Unread post by jack »

very informative :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D