Raising Betta fry

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Oachira village ,Kollam dist , Kerala state , India

Raising Betta fry

Unread post by neilthirumuttam »

Mates,
any one done raising betta fry successfully, be please to share
the feeding method from the beginning stage.
and culturing methods of micro organism for betta's FRY

thanks advanced,

regards,
NEIL
SHARE THE BRAIN SHARE THE FUTURE
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Rising Betta fry

Unread post by Matrix »

For intial days you will require infusoria for frys' to feed on. After a week you'll need newly hatched brine shrimps or microworms. Dont try egg yolk it will spoil the water and its difficult to change the water during this stage as even a slight change in water parameters is risky for frys. One has to be ready will all these culture well before starting the breeding process. Now its a rush against time. If you can find these with other hobbyist around your place then its fine otherwise it is very difficult to get frys' through this difficult stage.

There are many methods available on net for culturing infusoria, microworms & hatching brine shrimp eggs.
---
Amol
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks matrix for your attention towards my post and replying
thnk

I have culture of micro worms already running in many containers and artimemia (osi)in stock.

I put banana reap and paddy hay in a bottle and closed with cotton cloth for few days and feeding droplets from this now

and in another bottle some potato and another bottle have cabbage leaf. which one is best 4 betta ?

nearly 50 + fry now swimming in that small glass tank have 6 inch water
here monsoon rocks so dare to transfer them to out door cement cisterns.
yesterday hatched egg from few more pairs in small glass tanks (half moon)
I don't have previous experience with betta

so waiting for valuable advices

thanks advanced,

Regards,
NEIL
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

You are already halfway there!

The infusoria cultures are easy once you get them ready on time. I used a small 1 cm square of banana peel and water from the aquarium. By about 72 hours with light shining in from the side and a magnifying glass you could see hundreds of microscopic critters. Compared to hay and cabbage this was the fastest way. No experience with the potato slice. There should be no significant difference between the different methods with regard to nutritional value.

For me a small piece worked much much better than a larger piece of banana peel. Large pieces of peel resulted in really foul water with little infusoria. Probably too much bacterial growth. Also the culture was better when some air could enter the jar as compared to a sealed culture.

For some reason the cabbage leaf took about a week to actually die and breakdown.

You need to have at least 3-4 cultures running as they can crash and clear in as little as 24 hours. I used mine for daphnia raising.

Anyway soon you will be weaning them to microworms and BBS so you are fine on those accounts. Do keep the brine shrimp cysts in the freezer. And make sure to get rid of the unhatched and empty cysts when feeding BBS.

All the best!

Edited to add: regardless of the monsoons, you will find that they will do much much better in the outdoor cisterns. I mean as long as you make sure they are not washed away in the rain. By the way, Bettas are invasive species in some countries. In our country not many pay attention to this aspect. Bettas are perfectly suited to the tropical weather of Kerala and should have no problems getting established in the wild and thereby threatening some of our natives. There are a number of beautiful natives in and around Kerala including the beautiful and shy pseudosphromenus dayi. So be careful how you dispose your culled Bettas. I am assuming that you are raising to sell for which you will have to maintain your breeding lines for which you need to cull. Same if you are not planning to sell.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
bobvin
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bobvin »

congrats
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

what i have used is try getting almond leave, they will decay and give all the food the fry need in the first week. after that they are big enough to eat micro worm, feed that for another 2 weeks, then you have to move to BBS if you want growth, if you continue on the Microworm, the growth is very slow.
Egg yolk is fine food to use in addition, dont use it daily.
The biggest mistake ppl make is that we are not able to understand how much is enough, so here is what i used to do, jst pinch the smallest part of the yolk and dissolve it in the tbl spoon full of water then take 2-4 drops from this water and drop it in the tank. Dont give it daily in gap of 2-3 days, it helps a lot in the growth and ideal to be used with Microworm.

Also if you have any kind of moss,drop some of that as they bring lot of micro organism along.
Njoi and be patient, its a long journey from here on but its amazing to see them grow
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

almond leaf already in breeding tank
under that leaf betta made it's bubble nest

regards,
NEIL
syed.ali

neilthirumuttam wrote:almond leaf already in breeding tank
under that leaf betta made it's bubble nest

regards,
NEIL
great, slowly the leaf will start decaying and that will start providing the food, its all natural process, the timing of frys growth and leaf decay pretty well synch if you will notice it :)
neilthirumuttam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Raising Betta fry

Rising betta fry is not an easy task
:cnf

any one tested Paramecium for betta fry ?

regards,
NEIL
syed.ali

Re: Raising Betta fry

I have not heard of its usage with what ever Professional betta breeders i have interacted with