Apist Agassezzi Laid (second batch laid today)

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Apist Agassezzi Laid (second batch laid today)

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

My new apisto Juvenile laid a batch of eggs (around 40 ) but as it was the first batch she ate them,

experts kindly tell me after how many batches do these start properly caring for the fry.

the eggs are behind the rock on the glass, and are pink in colour.

Last edited by VishaalDalal on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vijendra_s123

Re: Apist Agassezzi Laid eggs but ate them

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

The female is just a juvi so she will learn with experience, it is really hard to tell how many attempts she would require for that.

But here the case seems different - Apistos are cave spawners, the female laid the eggs on the tank glass in desperation as she did not find any cave in the aquarium. She would have got startled by the movement around here and felt threatened for the eggs which is why she ate them. Provide proper environvment wherein she will feel safe to sucessufully breed. Provide her caves either by arranging rocks in such a way or by adding earthern pots or coconut shells. It will increase her chances of successfully raising fries.
The best bet would be to set up a breeding tank just for the Apistos as in a community tank the fries will not survive epsecially with all the badis in there...
VishaalDalal

vijendra_s123 wrote:The female is just a juvi so she will learn with experience, it is really hard to tell how many attempts she would require for that.

But here the case seems different - Apistos are cave spawners, the female laid the eggs on the tank glass in desperation as she did not find any cave in the aquarium. She would have got startled by the movement around here and felt threatened for the eggs which is why she ate them. Provide proper environvment wherein she will feel safe to sucessufully breed. Provide her caves either by arranging rocks in such a way or by adding earthern pots or coconut shells. It will increase her chances of successfully raising fries.
The best bet would be to set up a breeding tank just for the Apistos as in a community tank the fries will not survive epsecially with all the badis in there...

Thanks, Vijendra, but there are many caves, if you look at this tank in my other post you will realize. I am planning for another tank for breeding in the near future.
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

VishaalDalal wrote:
vijendra_s123 wrote:The female is just a juvi so she will learn with experience, it is really hard to tell how many attempts she would require for that.

Thanks, Vijendra, but there are many caves, if you look at this tank in my other post you will realize. I am planning for another tank for breeding in the near future.
Maybe the positioning of the caves is not suiting her, let me see them in person when I visit your place this weekend to pick up my cacatuoides female..
VishaalDalal

vijendra_s123 wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:

Maybe the positioning of the caves is not suiting her, let me see them in person when I visit your place this weekend to pick up my cacatuoides female..

great Thanks