Backyard breeding or in house breeding room

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
peeyoshk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Backyard breeding or in house breeding room

Unread post by peeyoshk »

Hi,

I was planning to convert my hobby to business by putting up a fish farm at my hometown. Though after 2 months of research and visiting to some fish farms I decided to first start it with a small breeding room at my house only. This means I have a complete room which I would like to dedicate to this backyard/indoor breeding room. The dimensions of the room are 10.5 ft X 9 ft.

I request here to all to help me in identifying the requirements and to share necessary information in same regards. As of now I have thought to start with live bearers like guppies as kick off. I would love to have any support which can be offered in setup and running of this unit.

I would need your suggestions on the below:-
1. Number of racks/stands with sizes.
2. Number of tanks with sizes and purpose.
3. Place to buy live stock.
4. Any other requirements you can think of. :)

Please feel free to share any sort of information you have. Also are there any options for support from government organisations on the same.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Visit us @ https://www.indiefur.com
Follow Us On Twitter Or Facebook to be posted with new product launches.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Backyard breeding or in house breeding room

Unread post by Romi »

That is an ambitious plan ;)

Which is fine, everything starts with a single step no doubt. But...

I think a project like that is big, and big things only work when basics are taken care of. And very carefully and patiently.

So why don't you start by posting a self-introduction at least ? We don't even know where you are located yet, just 2 posts of yours that we can see so far.

What is your experience in fishkeeping? What species do you think you can breed and sell?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Visiting fish farms and starting fish farms, both are different things. First of all you have to consider the temperature of your locality. I thought this is the most important factor for a fish farm. Another factor is water parameters. One more thing, which fishes you want to breed?

I am not demoralizing you but considers all of the factors describing by Romi and me.

Best of luck.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
peeyoshk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Hi Romi & Scorpio, thanks for replying to the post first.

I basically belong to Dehradun, Uttarakhand, though since last 2 years I am living in Delhi and working in a German MNC at Saket. I am into this hobby for last 4 years.

I stay at Uttam Nagar, New Delhi. I have accumulated my knowledge (whatever I have as of now), from different sources like internet, people working at fish farms, fish ponds, and from some live water streams at my hometown(there are plenty of them) & from friends like you all.

Water parameters, I would visit the lab to get the two options of water I have at my place to be tested. One is underground water(boring as we say) and other is RO water. There is no MCD water option at my place. Accordingly I would consider the water which I would use, based on following test results :-

1. pH
2. suspended solids.mg/l
3. dissolved oxygen
4. free Ammonia(as NH3-N) mg/l
5.Biochemical oxygen
Demand- BOD(5 days @ 20 c)
6.chemical Oxygen Demand-COD mg/l max
7.Dissolved Phospate(as P) mg/l max
8.Total Nitrogen(as N) mg/l

I do not plan to start a fish farm as of now, though a small breeding facility or room at my place with some live bearers and egg layers. May be guppies and others. A small facility may be with 2 tanks for live bearers and 2 tanks for egg layers. One quarantine tank and two tanks for fries and egg hatching.

I hope I am able to introduce myself and explain the topics I request your help on properly.

Thanks
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

Having a Breeding is in my wish list too.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

If you are planning Livebearers, then you ought to find some exotic ones.
Those that look really good and do fine with a few lines of in breeding. I have seen people so much disinterested in small fish like guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails.
They remain unsold for long periods of time.

But if you want to start small, I recommend that you try bettas. They'll need a little more effort, but are sold readily, and it will be a fun learning experience.
You might be unsuccessful for first few times but eventually, it can become great!
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Arjun Tandon wrote:If you are planning Livebearers, then you ought to find some exotic ones.
Those that look really good and do fine with a few lines of in breeding. I have seen people so much disinterested in small fish like guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails.
They remain unsold for long periods of time.

But if you want to start small, I recommend that you try bettas. They'll need a little more effort, but are sold readily, and it will be a fun learning experience.
You might be unsuccessful for first few times but eventually, it can become great!
:1 :1
jack

Unread post by jack »

Have you ever breed fishes in past ? Whats your experience in raising fry and handling live food ??

Great efforts !!
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
peeyoshk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Hi Jack,

I have been successful in breeding severums once and though parrots are not fertile but i tried that as well and got the eggs 4 times. Though the parrot eggs never matured to fry.

I guess, do it and learn it is the best methodology to learn in this trade. Hence for the same reason i thought of getting into it a bit more.

Best Regards
Peeyoosh
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

what is the objective, to breed for self satisfaction or to earn something to support the hobby.

Sorry for being lil rude but bro is important to understand the finances involved also, as in delhi you will end up spending considerable amt of money on electricity due to extreme temp, you need both fans and heaters. RO water again is not free.

If you breed guppies, you will be happy but i doubt if you will get ROI, best would be that you talk to some one like bappa, romi or Vijendra, who are best go to guy in delhi if you want to breed