Backyard breeding or in house breeding room

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
peeyoshk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Backyard breeding or in house breeding room

Unread post by peeyoshk »

Hi Syed, Thanks for your reply. The objective is to earn something.... :)

As you suggested i hereby request bappa,romi & Vijendra to guide me on the same.
Visit us @ https://www.indiefur.com
Follow Us On Twitter Or Facebook to be posted with new product launches.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Everything is fine with your projects but winters will be always a problem for you. Dehradoon is not suitable for mass breeding of fishes in winters. Your electricity bills will always be a bomb.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

SCORPIO wrote:Everything is fine with your projects but winters will be always a problem for you. Dehradoon is not suitable for mass breeding of fishes in winters. Your electricity bills will always be a bomb.
find species which are looking for cooler temp, I would recommend you to try shrimp, i am sure water you get is good condition, then coooler temp is best for shrimps.
peeyoshk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by peeyoshk »

Thanks Scorpio. I am planning to start my small breeding room at delhi only. Once I feel it is right to invest time and money at large then I would see for a fish farm.

Syed sir that's a nice idea though as you can read I want to start small at home first and give it a try.

Is it possible to share a budget required for a small breeding unit setup at home.
Visit us @ https://www.indiefur.com
Follow Us On Twitter Or Facebook to be posted with new product launches.
syed.ali

bro it all depends on the type of fish, lets say you want to start with Guppies, then you probably go with jst 1 tank, as they dont eat their frys. Now lets say you want to breed apistos, then you need tank to house the breeding pair and then a seperate tank to house juvies once they are lil big, now lets say you want o breed betta then setup will be more complex, as you have to house each male seperately and females seperately and then a small breeding tank and one large tank to rear juvies :)
But at bare min you will need 2 small tank and 1 medium size tank. Sponge filters, live worm to condition the fish and also get them into breeding condition. With dry food, you dont get fishs to breed.
Due to delhi xtreame weather, fans for summers, heaters for winters

Now tank you can make our self with used glasses that will be cheaper or ask other hobbyist around for spare tanks :)
Sponge filter they are cheap and if you want you can make those also.

if you want to buy all stuff in one shot, then best would be to visit Laxmi nagar to get stuff at wholesale rate or anand parbhat
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Unread post by djmankotia »

Arjun Tandon wrote: But if you want to start small, I recommend that you try bettas. They'll need a little more effort, but are sold readily, and it will be a fun learning experience. You might be unsuccessful for first few times but eventually, it can become great!
I must say I disagree with you Arjun. Ask Syed sir, he has first hand experience in raising Betta. People rarely buy the females. And one needs several small tanks for successfully raising the fry to maturation. To add to it, one needs a regular supply of live feed. All this makes the whole thing very complicated. Raising good quality fighters is an art that requires years and years of experience.

But if someone really wants to try, I'd commend his/her efforts. The idea is not to discourage, but to bring the facts to light.
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

I am assuming that you want to breed as opposed to take credit for fishes that will breed on their own. For example, throw in some male and female livebearers and they will breed whether you like it or not. The same is not true for most other fishes. I am assuming your interest is for the latter.
For a successful breeding setup you have to invest in the following stuff
1. Tanks (2X1X1 or 18X12X12). For each species you want to breed, one tank dedicated for the parents/breeding pair and another to grow the fries out
2. Sponge filters
3. A RO unit (breeding activities can be fast paced if you can give appropriate water conditions)
4. Good brine shrimp hatchery

Selecting fishes: I would suggest gradually go species wise (with same water parameters too). For example, you can start with SA dwarf cichlids (Apistogrammas), Angels, Discus, Cories, catfishes. All of them would want pH around 6-6.5 for breeding. That will be easy setup to maintain with similar water parameters. This is important as most of their fries can grow togather after a while (say after 3 weeks) in the grow out tank. I personally would advice you to start with cave spawners (can be simulated with small earthen pots) or the ones who use rocks and woods. This would mean that you can keep bare bottom tanks. Your control on breeding would be difficult for fishes that needs plants, substrates etc. You can try that later after you have tasted success initially with cichlids.
syed.ali

see i told you, thats a guru talking :)
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

djmankotia wrote: I must say I disagree with you Arjun. Ask Syed sir, he has first hand experience in raising Betta. People rarely buy the females. And one needs several small tanks for successfully raising the fry to maturation. To add to it, one needs a regular supply of live feed. All this makes the whole thing very complicated. Raising good quality fighters is an art that requires years and years of experience.

But if someone really wants to try, I'd commend his/her efforts. The idea is not to discourage, but to bring the facts to light.
No offence taken 666 . I know bettas can be tricky esp the fry. I just find them interesting. Thanks for the info....
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I have a few suggestions for live stock for you peeyoosh. But the responsibility for sourcing them will be yours, so don't ask me WHERE 666

If you are interested, and you know any good fish sellers who can source for you, PM me.