breeding of Celestial Pearl Danio, aka Galaxy Rasbora

Discus here about fish breeding and fry care.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

breeding of Celestial Pearl Danio, aka Galaxy Rasbora

Unread post by juanico »

hi guys

This post is to encourage hobbyists to breed their pets, especially if you have species which are not too easy to get.

Being an aquarist in delhi sometimes it makes you cry.
There are so many awesome fish out there, available everywhere, even in india…but not in delhi.
Unavailability, poor quality of fish or high prices should be motivation enough for us to try to breed our aquapets…in order to maintain a permanent pool of live stock in our area…and make more fish species accessible for fellow aquarists.

A couple of months ago I was able to get my hands on danio margaritatus - celestial pearl danio, aka galaxy rasbora.
Very colourful, not aggressive and small in size – a perfect fish for smaller planted tanks, nanos and aquascapes.
Researching the internet, luckily it seems to be not that difficult to breed them.
Here I want to share the method which works with mine CPD quite well.

To my opinion everything starts with the proper food for the parent fish.
There is one thing which many fish have in common: they like live food, live food, live food.
Sure, it might also work with tetra bits, but fish are much healthier, more active and breed better if you start offering them live food.

Some people think tetras are boring. Well, feed them daphnia…and they will mutate to piranhas… :lol:

I offer daphnia, microworms, artemia and microfex.
After a few days/weeks the cpd females develop a nice round belly, and seem to be ready to spawn.

male left, female right

The males are in absolutely stunning colours, very active, swimming around the females…it all looks like mating…but nothing happens!
There is one trick to stimulate them to spawn. Actually very simple, but also very necessary:
Moss.
They need it as substrate for their eggs.
In a nutshell: no moss, no eggs.
If there is moss in your tank, they will spawn continuously, but unfortunately they also eat their own eggs. And tank mates do as well…only very few frys survive…if any at all.
You want to control your breeding efforts and protect the eggs and frys?
This is one method which works:
1. Remove all moss from your cpd tank.
2. Get a plastic container of a size of around 1 litre
3. Fix a net or mesh a few cm above the bottom. The holes bigger than 2mm, big enough for the eggs to fall through, but small enough to keep the fish out.
4. Place a bit of moss above the mesh and fix it with a stone or something else, so it will not float away.
5. Place the container in your cpd tank.

Maybe a bit shy at the beginning, the cpd will accept it in their territory and soon start with their mating activities.
After a few days you can start “harvesting” :lol: . I do it once a week.
Take out the container and pour the content in another jar. You can see many eggs and also some frys already. Rinse the moss, because some eggs and frys get cought in it.

freshly hatched: 3mm

Per week I get 15-20 eggs/frys.
Maybe it is possible to increase the amount in separating each couple in a tank. But I don’t have neither space nor time to do it.
I leave the eggs and fresh frys in the jar for another week, without feeding. They still have the egg yolk and do not swim around.

After 1 week you have to start feeding them, which is a bit tricky, since the frys are just 3 mm. the only food they can take are infusoria and other microorganisms.
There are two ways to do it:
1. You can breed infusoria, I use two ways to do so: straw method and milk method
2. If you are lazy (welcome to my world) and happen to have a running shrimp tank: put the frys in the shrimp tank for the first weeks. The shrimp tank contains enough microorganisms in mosses and leaves, so the cpd frys find enough food.

after 1 week in shrimp tank: 4mm

After 2-3 weeks they seem to be big enough for other food, such as microworms and powdered tetra bits.
After 4-5 weeks they can take small artemia.

after 6 weeks: in tank with parents, around 10 mm

I do not know how many actually survive the first weeks, but it appears that most of them can make it.
With this method you can breed quite some numbers in a few weeks.

cheers
juanico

ps: working on the next breeding project already…a bit more challenging this time
RemirezyKrazy
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: breeding of Celestial Pearl Danio, aka Galaxy Rasbora

Unread post by RemirezyKrazy »

BRILLIANT..!! this is going to be a great thread to follow..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe we should all pay our tax with a smile. I tried - but they wanted cash.

``Ashish``
marsaiko

Unread post by marsaiko »

Great post Juanico.

You made it look so simple. Encouraging stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

firstly congrats on breeding them.
Can you tell the water temp , ph in your tanks because ph is the main problem which i am facing here
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Awesome writeup mate.. :clp will surely encourage hobbyists from the region to start breeding fishes...... :thumup
jack

Unread post by jack »

awesome, this is a real encouragement. i have 4 of this speices... ll try this method. can you share the temp and ph of the tank you breed ?
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

:goodpost

I suppose, you have got success in breeding them first time in Delhi. I looking those from a long time but never got.

Nice writeup.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

marsaiko wrote:Great post Juanico.

You made it look so simple. Encouraging stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
:1 , so simple looking process, but you know the actual pain, and I think Delhi people are already rich and becoming Richer :LOL ....
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

Congrats, this is excellent news, now we have rasboras in delhi. :) :clp
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Amazing stuff. Hopefully you will share some adults with us Juanico. Please save us !!!