Hi-Tech / Low-Tech Tanks difference

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Hi-Tech / Low-Tech Tanks difference

Unread post by Abhi »

How do you make a difference between the two ? I know there are a lot of variations and different view points regarding this.

My point of View :
HTLT.jpg
Let us see how you as an indiviual take both the terms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Hi-Tech / Low-Tech Tanks difference

Unread post by prajjwal »

I prefer to keep one hi-tech and one or more low techs. Hi-tech needs lots of maintenance.... and things can go wrong very quickly. I prefer to keep larger tank Hi-tech and smaller ones low.

Shrimps/fishes do better in low tech for me.
jack

Unread post by jack »

i agree to the above stated statement

here are bit of my views and comparison.

1) low tech tanks are always a less hassle for me (+1 for low)
2) parameters are monitered and can be controlled well in advance in hi tech (+1 to hi tech)
3) more water changes in hi tech as the nutrient in water colum is more soo need to manage (+1 to low tech)
4) less accidental risks in low tank for eg: timer going wrong, solonoid valve leaking and we are unaware of it (+1 to low)
5) bills, this plays a major roll, hi tech consumes way more energy than low tech (+1 to low)
6) low tech can be done with regular lights and good routine filter where as gadgets for hi tech is expensive (+1 to low)
7) with regular water change and maintenance you can maintain good stock in hi-tech aquariums as you have good filter and stuff (+1 to hi tech)

these are just few of the positives and negatives of both.
so this are my views you can agree and disagree with me ;) but this is me but personally i prefer starting low tech and slowly upgrading it to hi-tech according the need be, as i always do because of time and business i dont have time to keep a track of lights timing and co2 timings. i like gadgets and i am a gadget freak. soo experimenting with different stuff is fun.
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Hi Tech Vs Low Tech Tanks.

Hi Tech Tank
1. Need nutrient rich substrate.
2. Fertilizers are essential to enhance the growth of plants.
3. There should be good lighting in the range of 18+ Lumens per square inch of water. Always consider the height of tanks. More height need more light. Now days Fluorescent Tubes (T8/T5/CFL/PLL) are very popular. Some aquarist also using Metal Halide, LEDs etc.
4. Most of the aquatic plant do best in the temperature between 23-26 degree celcius. In high temperature metabolism of plants increase. Need to control the temperature for best growth of plants.
5. Good source of Carbon: All plants need Carbon to complete the process of Photosynthesis in combination with proper light and iron. Pressurized/Liquid source of Carbon can be used. Electronic CO2 units, tablets, DIY CO2 are not suitable.
6. Need regular maintenance due to high growth rate of plants.
7. Need regular awareness. A Hi tech tank could not be neglect.

Low Tech Tank

1. DIY substrate/Local available soil or sand can be use.
2. Fish waste can be utilize as fertilizers.
3. Moderate/Low light is sufficient. Plants should be able to survive in low/moderate light. I prefer CFL in low light tank.
4. Fans can be used to reduce temperature. Some low light plants such as Anubias/Java fern/Marselia etc. can also perform best in higher temperature. Due to low light, temperature always lower in comparison of Hi Tech tanks.
5. DIY/Electronic/Tablets can be used as source of Carbon. Some plants can perform only on the Carbon present in normal air.
6. Due to low growth of plants, need low maintenance.
7. Need low water changes due to utilization of fish waste by plants.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

For me The difference between Hi-Tech Vs Low-Tech is very simple.

One relies on a lot of equipment, A lot of equipments means having to monitor a lot of equipment, Having to monitor a lot of equipment makes you keep tuning all of them to work in tandem, eventually more time and money spent. If all of it balances well, can be a fantastic tank with wonderfull results.

Low tech relies on less equipment and more on the natural ecological cycle. Less equipments means you have to monitor less things, Monitoring less things keeps the tank setup and maintenance very simple, sometimes as simple as doing water changes only. You limit your scope to the kind of plants to be grown in this but can still acheive fantastic tank with wonderfull results.

Eventually both follow the simple science on nature and what we studied in school as to how plants grow.

Warm Regards,
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

in the above two post Rajiv ji and Nirav together have managed to list all the points of both the type of tanks :thumup
Sushant
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

not picking on your personally rajivji since you will feel that again but I am sure a lot of new hobbyist venturing into planted tank will be reading this post.

I am in slight disagreement with the part where you mention low tech is diy substrate / local soil and high tech is nutrient rich substrate, a lot of diy and local soils are extremely nutrient rich and can be and have been used in high tech tanks. What you may be refering to is the use of commercial vs local substrate. Correct me if I am wrong though, just a thought off the minute little experience I have in planted tanks.

regards
nirav
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

SCORPIO wrote:1. DIY substrate/Local available soil or sand can be use.
Nirav Ji, Please read carefully, I have use word "CAN BE USED". I am not taking anything personally, till then you don't pointing anything personal. Everything depend on the sentence you are using. We are not enemy of each other.

I am also using DIY substrate in most of my tanks.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

nash81 wrote:Hi,

not picking on your personally rajivji since you will feel that again but I am sure a lot of new hobbyist venturing into planted tank will be reading this post.

I am in slight disagreement with the part where you mention low tech is diy substrate / local soil and high tech is nutrient rich substrate, a lot of diy and local soils are extremely nutrient rich and can be and have been used in high tech tanks. What you may be refering to is the use of commercial vs local substrate. Correct me if I am wrong though, just a thought off the minute little experience I have in planted tanks.

regards
nirav

Nirav I guess this is what he wanted to say. Thanks for putting it down in a simpler way.
Sushant
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

Calling out the senior and expert scapers where are you guys ?? Partha, Abhra, Rajeev, Bappa, Tirtha.... come on you guys where are your views ?
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !