Building large planted paludarium(10*11)feet

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Building large planted paludarium(10*11)feet

Unread post by abin philip »

Hi construction of my dream large planted tank + terrarium has started..its a part of our living room in our new home(under construction).lit by natural sunlight..looking forward for ur valuable suggestions..posting pics below
Details : the length of tank would be 10 feet
width would be 11 feet(total water area + land)....
height of water area -3 feet

Water area (front area) - 7 feet on right side, 4 feet on left side...total 3500L approx..

Towards back and sides, planning terrestrial plants, block on left side for filter chamber, back and side would be worked using ferro cement work depicting mountain edges with space for plants in between .....and waterfall from the height of filter chamber

Water area planned to be filled with hardy plants + large driftwood protruding out of water....
[imghttp://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php ... rium3c.jpg][/img]
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

another pic

More pics
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Ferro cement work progress

abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

fero cement work update

the pic show the ferro cement work on a side...its getting shape....painting yet to be done....the holes are for planting terrestrial plants

Last edited by abin philip on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

large driftwood

a large driftwood found to be placed in right corner

Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Building large planted paludarium(10*11)feet

Unread post by Romi »

This is very interesting.... Phillip.

Since your home and your paludarium are both under construction, it is a bit difficult to make out what the paludarium could be like since the room itself is not ready. What fish or aquatic plants are you planning in particular?

The terrestrial plants would be very interesting too, I am sure. Do you have some in pots now?

I think a paludarium is a very good idea as an attraction in a room if you are willing to take trouble to think it over carefully, it will be challenging to integrate it with the room and strike the right balance between it and the other things one keeps in a room. ... I have a book somewhere that shows a drawing room full of plants, the author says it is possible with good ventilation and lighting, but humidity needs to be monitored carefully.

BTW, I hope you can post an introduction for yourself soon in the self-introduction thread. It helps members understand you and your approach better. It might even gives us some material to make suggestions for your paludarium, since familiarity with large tanks, aquatic plants, terrestrial plants, gardening, access to sources for the same, could make a big difference to your ability to make the best use of this space you have chosen for bringing Nature right to your living room. coolbig
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Looking very interesting.
Will follow this
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Welcome on the forum.

I like your work.

How have you made these pockets, please step by step progress.

Driftwood is also looking stunning.

Waiting for more updates.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

thanks romi, mats n scorpio...
Ya both home and paludarium are under construction…could plan such a thing only when building a new home because it’s a part of the living room and occupies a room by itself( 110 sq feet)…might take a couple of months for completion….

Wanted to take all necessary precautions tatz why the post here…..

Regarding light n ventilation the top and sides r luver windows providing ample light n ventilation…the opposite side of the paludarium is also open….opening to a deck by the pond concept…lots of open area so no prob of humidity I guess…

Regarding under water plants would like to go with various varieties of anubias, ferns and moss…hope they can survive in natural sunlight…wld also like to give amzon swords, crypts n vals too a try if possible…terrestrial plants not yet decided…suggestions r most welcome..

Regarding fishes planning to go for school of any tetra variety, angels n discuss….

As of now I havnt collected any plants….at present gt a 6 foot planted tank…
abin philip
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

detailed pic showing the artifical rock n pocket work

@ SCORPIO
the places were drilled and small steel rods were placed at different places they were then connected using other rods making a shape ....then steel mesh nets were used to cover th work....leaving gaps inside them....as u can see in th pics below...then ferro cement was placed n poured over the nets....th rock shape are finally obtained by experienced craftmanship ( not me )...then they are yet to be painted.....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHost ... oworkc.jpg