How to increase Redness in Aquatic Plants?

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: How to increase Redness in Aquatic Plants?

Unread post by Solcielo lawrencia »

In my own experiments, it's red light that induces the production of anthocyanin. I discovered this after I changed out a dozen 6500K LEDs to "full spectrum" (450nm blue with red phosphor) LEDs. The new growth of red plants became significantly redder such as Rotala sp. "H'ra", Ludwigia sp. "Red", and Limnophila aromatica reddened at much deeper depths. Thus, I conclude that it is specifically the red spectra of light that induces anthocyanin production which results in much redder coloration. 6500K LEDs provide very little red spectra, even lower are 10,000K LEDs because most of the spectral output is in the blue spectra.

Regarding UV light, It's unlikely that any retail light fixture can provide UV light because special coatings are applied to absorb this radiation. LEDs provide zero UV light.

Regarding nitrate limitation, this can cause the stunting of other plants and is not a long term solution when the health of plants are harmed.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Solcielo lawrencia wrote: Regarding UV light, It's unlikely that any retail light fixture can provide UV light because special coatings are applied to absorb this radiation. LEDs provide zero UV light.
is this a generalization?
because UV LEDs are used in reef tanks.

Solcielo lawrencia wrote:I discovered this after I changed out a dozen 6500K LEDs to "full spectrum" (450nm blue with red phosphor) LEDs.
what do you mean by "full spectrum", you meant combination of 450nm blue + 660nm red, or coating a blue led with phosphor?
Would love to see your journal or tank pics. Because even I have been of same opinion that red LEDs induce red colors in plants. But its confusing why you mentioned 450nm blue?
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

saikumar wrote:
Solcielo lawrencia wrote: Regarding UV light, It's unlikely that any retail light fixture can provide UV light because special coatings are applied to absorb this radiation. LEDs provide zero UV light.
is this a generalization?
because UV LEDs are used in reef tanks.
UV LEDs (380nm and below) are not used in reef tanks. 380nm-430nm is considered violet, not ultra-violet.
Solcielo lawrencia wrote:I discovered this after I changed out a dozen 6500K LEDs to "full spectrum" (450nm blue with red phosphor) LEDs.
what do you mean by "full spectrum", you meant combination of 450nm blue + 660nm red, or coating a blue led with phosphor?
Would love to see your journal or tank pics. Because even I have been of same opinion that red LEDs induce red colors in plants. But its confusing why you mentioned 450nm blue?
"Full spectrum" is how it's marketed. It's a single 450nm blue base with a red phosphor. The blue is just the LED base color and the phosphor is what converts the blue light into red light. Here's a spectral output:

This is my 6500K LED fixture with "full spectrum" and 475nm blue LEDs added for better color rendition:
It should be noted that with the new LEDs, the plants grew shorter internodes and vertical growth slowed down a lot. I no longer have to trim certain plants as often as I did before. It appears that green light causes the elongation of internodes while blue and red light causes shorter internodes:
http://www.apms.org/japm/vol15/v15p29.pdf

Prior to adding the "full spectrum" LEDs, the Ludwigia was an orange-red:

Limnophila aromatica also had longer internodes and stayed green all the way to the surface:

Here's a recent picture with Ludwigia sp. "Red" and Limnophila aromatica under the new LEDs:
You'll notice that both these plants are much redder under the spectral change.
Last edited by Solcielo lawrencia on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
saikumar

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply!! Must say you have a very soothing tank.

I just rigged up one for my tank, may be I have far few red than what you have. Will know results only after I plant it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saikumar

Do you by chance have a pic that shows how you mounted your optics onto the led?
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

They are snap on optics. They are different from the stock optics which I removed.
saikumar

thank you for posting!! that is a very neat mod.
geeth
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by geeth »

This is the topic i have been searching...
Finally got it...
So i need to design a proper light system, rather than adding lots of iron to my aquarium.

Thanks and Regards.
Arun.
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Yes, it's lighting that is important. I don't know if it's only red light that induces red coloration. Since anthocyanin also reflects blue light, would increasing blue spectra (380-480nm) also induce the production of anthocyanin? Unfortunately, there's no way I can experiment now that I've added the "full spectrum" LEDs.
saikumar

Well why isn't your aromatic turning to that maroon or purple color? And blyxa can turn golden too with strong light?