Terrarium files

Forum for display your Immersed setup/Paludarium/Terrarium/Vivarium etc.
KarthikC

Terrarium files

Unread post by KarthikC »

I wanted to make a terrarium from a long time. Hence, the emersed growth project to find out how the plants react to moisture, heat, light, ferts and substrate. I took a 3' x 18" x 15" tank and made a terrarium for myself. Ok, some specs:

1.) substrate: garden soil mixed with coco peat.
2.) lighting : 1 x Syska LED tube light fixture. 1600 lumens, 6500 Kelvin rated.
3.) plants: Java and windelov ferns, c.lyrata, medium size echinodorous, crypt wendtii and parva, mondo grass, hemigraphis pink and repanda, bacopa monnieri, hygrophilia quadrivalvis (Apple, broad lead and narrow leaf), mini pelia moss (native), Java moss, HC Cuba, lileopsis, hair grass, saggitaria and a small quantity of E. Tenellus.
4.) fauna: some ants that came along with the garden soil :D please suggest some more fauna that I can add.

Some pics now.

Lighting fixture rating

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216205.283854.jpg
How it looked before adding plants.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216245.780453.jpg
Plants harvest from one of the emersed setups
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216278.710052.jpg
More pics to follow.

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KarthikC

Re: Terrarium files

How the covered tank looks like.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216592.377089.jpg
Some top views:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216547.239237.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430216510.307790.jpg
Not able to get a good fts from the phone cam. Will update more in coming days. It's been about a week and a half since I've put in the plants and they're responding well to the lights. :)

Cheers,

Karthik

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Mondo grass is looking very beautiful.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
KarthikC

SCORPIO wrote:Mondo grass is looking very beautiful.
That's my favourite too. :)

Ferns growing well with new baby plants and moss also seems to be adjusting to the setup. I'm really happy to see ferns doing well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430330505.508291.jpg
Cheers,

Karthik

Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Nice to see a terrarium, its a good start and you seem to be very well prepared. Hopefully this will grow into a lush little forest :)
How are you making the moisture, by spraying?
Some fauna that I would suggest for a terrarium would be a fire belly newts or some kind of crabs (not sure about crabs though)
KarthikC

Naufil wrote:Nice to see a terrarium, its a good start and you seem to be very well prepared. Hopefully this will grow into a lush little forest :)
How are you making the moisture, by spraying?
Some fauna that I would suggest for a terrarium would be a fire belly newts or some kind of crabs (not sure about crabs though)
Thanks. I'm misting with my spray can every 2-3 days. Just enough to keep the moisture and not Waterlog the substrate. Hope it grows well. Can't wait. :)

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430760089.084622.jpg
Locally collected Bacopa already standing upright. It's been there for just over two days.

Cheers,

Karthik

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
bmukh
Experts
Experts

Unread post by bmukh »

If you plan to keep any amhibian or aquatic animal you will have to make provision for some water somewhere. Anubias would be a good addition. Do try carnivorous plants.....
KarthikC

bmukh wrote:If you plan to keep any amhibian or aquatic animal you will have to make provision for some water somewhere. Anubias would be a good addition. Do try carnivorous plants.....
Thanks for your reply sir. Once I plan for fauna, I will plan to maintain water level in the terrarium. I'll check if I can get some miniature carnivorous plants too.

Cheers,

Karthik