Acclimatisation of Fish

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Gurgaon

Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby VishaalDalal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if people share their experiences in Acclimatization of new fish to their tanks.

Recently I got some natives from Andrew Da, mortalities are as hereunder.
1. Dario Dario 3 out of 12. (no immediate deaths but prolonged over 5-6 days.
2. C.Babaulti cant see more than 2-3 out of 30 although have not found all dead bodies.
3. Badis singenensis all 5 are alive.

used the drip method for more than an hour.

there is a lot of information on the net is varied where some people preferring simple plop and drop to other views.



Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 2209
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Gurgaon

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby Abhi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:46 pm

VishaalDalal wrote:Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if people share their experiences in Acclimatization of new fish to their tanks.

Recently I got some natives from Andrew Da, mortalities are as hereunder.
1. Dario Dario 3 out of 12. (no immediate deaths but prolonged over 5-6 days.
2. C.Babaulti cant see more than 2-3 out of 30 although have not found all dead bodies.
3. Badis singenensis all 5 are alive.

used the drip method for more than an hour.

there is a lot of information on the net is varied where some people preferring simple plop and drop to other views.


1. Float bag for 1/2 hour.
2. Drip acclimatize / puncture bag for shrimps for 1-2 hrs
3. Small water mixes for fishes 1-2 hrs

Lost some red nose due to being dropped in a little new setup but the main shrimp tank no casualty and none of the Badis or Gobies died from the same shipment.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !

VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Gurgaon

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby VishaalDalal » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Abhi wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:Hi everyone,

I would be grateful if people share their experiences in Acclimatization of new fish to their tanks.

Recently I got some natives from Andrew Da, mortalities are as hereunder.
1. Dario Dario 3 out of 12. (no immediate deaths but prolonged over 5-6 days.
2. C.Babaulti cant see more than 2-3 out of 30 although have not found all dead bodies.
3. Badis singenensis all 5 are alive.

used the drip method for more than an hour.

there is a lot of information on the net is varied where some people preferring simple plop and drop to other views.


1. Float bag for 1/2 hour.
2. Drip acclimatize / puncture bag for shrimps for 1-2 hrs
3. Small water mixes for fishes 1-2 hrs

Lost some red nose due to being dropped in a little new setup but the main shrimp tank no casualty and none of the Badis or Gobies died from the same shipment.


Abhi,

not blaming the shipment but as we get a lot of fish from outside NCR experiences of people would help.
some people on the net talk about Drip but others claim that the ammonia and CO2 in the bag starts acting on the fish as soon as the bag is opened so as a result they just float the sealed bag and then dump the fish(minus the water) in the tank.

User avatar
Neeraj
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: New Delhi
Contact:

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby Neeraj » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

it happens only due to not following proper process learnt from experience.

first of all due to travel fishes used to be stressed out. float the bags in the tank for atleast 1/2 an hour open the bag and add small qty of water from the tank in 5 minutes interval it helps fishes to get adjusted with tanks water parameter fill the bag almost 80 % then throw out 70% of water(not in tank) then again follow step 2.now release the fishes in you tank. i personally do not feed them for first day.

Regards
Neeraj
Regards,
Neeraj
9810014430
https://www.facebook.com/petduniya

User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10353
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby SCORPIO » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I acclimatize only delicate fishes by following method.

1. Pour the water of fish bag in a bucket along with fishes.
2. After that uses a Glucose tube (Pipe which used to supply Glucose in human body) to supply water from main tank to bucket.
3. It takes 7-8 hours to fill the bucket.
4. After filling bucket, I drops some Methylene blue in bucket.
5. After 5 minutes, I transfers the fishes in main tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby vijendra_s123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 pm

The mortality rate in wild caught fish is more after transport as compared to the tank bred ones owing to various reasons such as bacterial infection.

User avatar
parthapratim22
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5289
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am
Location: KOLKATA>HYDERABAD>DELHI

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby parthapratim22 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm

very common issue and casualty we face when transferring the fish...good information already shared by members, so making this thread as sticky.
Aquascaping Products and Designs viewforum.php?f=60
9599388127

VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Gurgaon

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby VishaalDalal » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 am

what about the fact that after a long travel the fish are actually in a Soup of CO2 and Ammonia. how is that countered because the moment the bag is opened the CO2 reacts and starts escaping.

User avatar
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 pm
Location: New Delhi

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby aquascapist » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:44 pm

VishaalDalal wrote:what about the fact that after a long travel the fish are actually in a Soup of CO2 and Ammonia. how is that countered because the moment the bag is opened the CO2 reacts and starts escaping.


what if we added few drops of prime or equivalent water conditioner to bind the ammonia in the bag...then proceed with drip acclimatisation.
Warm Regards,
Aditya

VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: Gurgaon

Re: Acclimatisation of Fish

Unread postby VishaalDalal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:14 pm

aquascapist wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:what about the fact that after a long travel the fish are actually in a Soup of CO2 and Ammonia. how is that countered because the moment the bag is opened the CO2 reacts and starts escaping.


what if we added few drops of prime or equivalent water conditioner to bind the ammonia in the bag...then proceed with drip acclimatisation.


yes have been reading about Prime and Amquel but where do we get these in India and what is a cheaper alternative.