Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby SCORPIO » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm

Looking for a pair of Rosy barb to get rid of hair algae from mosses.


“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

User avatar
Romi
Editor
Editor
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: North Delhi, NCR.
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby Romi » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:41 pm

@ishaan

i know how you feel. if u recommend a good shop to anyone very enthusiastically, they invariably suspect you must be doing it for money! :lol: funny but true. it has happened to me at least two times. ... but i still cant stop myself. if i cant buy a good quality fish, i want to call up a friend and ask him to take it home. how to tell others that it is like being a drinker, always offering drinks because they give him such joy! :lol:

User avatar
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: jalandhar,punjab

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby ishaan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Romi wrote:@ishaan

i know how you feel. if u recommend a good shop to anyone very enthusiastically, they invariably suspect you must be doing it for money! :lol: funny but true. it has happened to me at least two times. ... but i still cant stop myself. if i cant buy a good quality fish, i want to call up a friend and ask him to take it home. how to tell others that it is like being a drinker, always offering drinks because they give him such joy! :lol:

ya thats true but the only difference is that i very rarely see any good quality fish in lfs ,but if i see that i can't resist myself from buying that fish :lol: :lol:
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868

User avatar
Romi
Editor
Editor
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: North Delhi, NCR.
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby Romi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:21 pm

ishaan@

a big lesson in good and moral fishkeeping is to NEVER buy a fish you actually dont like or want. this is cruel to the fish. how? if u dont really like it, u will not learn enough to look after it effectively. and if u dont look after it effectivley, it will, one day, DIE. Sometimes this death will be even more painful than at the fish shop, a prolonged death from neglect, bad food, crowding, incorrect temperatures, inadequate water changes... endless ways to die :|

of course, another way out is to come to this thread and give it away to someone who will take it willingly. or give it back free to the shop owner becuase his livelihood is selling fishes and he might at least look after it well enough to keep it saleable.

let me give u an example. i have a highfin or featherfin synodontis (synodontis eupterus), already mentioned in this thread. i am being offered 2k for this fish by a lfs shop owner. he will give me stuff in exchange and not pay. i am thinking if i want to do it or not, but the fact is if he pays so much for it, he WILL care for it, if only to make some money, so what? i am waiting for him to get some fish that i actually want before i exchange it.

so think all this over before u go to that fish shop again.

User avatar
Romi
Editor
Editor
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: North Delhi, NCR.
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby Romi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:26 pm

@scorpio

Rosy barbs are available at Water World Aquarium, Rohini sector 4. A-4/218
0910154531, 9213123175.

User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby SCORPIO » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:00 am

Romi wrote:@scorpio

Rosy barbs are available at Water World Aquarium, Rohini sector 4. A-4/218
0910154531, 9213123175.


Buy a pair for me and bring in the meet.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

User avatar
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 1725
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: jalandhar,punjab

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby ishaan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 am

Romi wrote:ishaan@

a big lesson in good and moral fishkeeping is to NEVER buy a fish you actually dont like or want. this is cruel to the fish. how? if u dont really like it, u will not learn enough to look after it effectively. and if u dont look after it effectivley, it will, one day, DIE. Sometimes this death will be even more painful than at the fish shop, a prolonged death from neglect, bad food, crowding, incorrect temperatures, inadequate water changes... endless ways to die :|

of course, another way out is to come to this thread and give it away to someone who will take it willingly. or give it back free to the shop owner becuase his livelihood is selling fishes and he might at least look after it well enough to keep it saleable.

let me give u an example. i have a highfin or featherfin synodontis (synodontis eupterus), already mentioned in this thread. i am being offered 2k for this fish by a lfs shop owner. he will give me stuff in exchange and not pay. i am thinking if i want to do it or not, but the fact is if he pays so much for it, he WILL care for it, if only to make some money, so what? i am waiting for him to get some fish that i actually want before i exchange it.

so think all this over before u go to that fish shop again.

romi sir i think you got me wrong ,i wanted to say that ,good quality fishes that i like and am keeping are rarely availble in LFS and if they are available then i can't resist buying them even if it is expensive or i am having low budget at that time :lol: :lol: anyway thanks for giving a great lesson and will defiantly keep that in mind
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868

User avatar
Romi
Editor
Editor
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: North Delhi, NCR.
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby Romi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 am

your snail is doing very well, ishaan. Thanks to u and syed ali. I'm waiting to see if it will clean some of my tank glass algae! At present, it concentrates on the gravel only. It is a mystery snail.

Ok, here is an update.

Daryaganj aquarium visited a few days ago. Interesting fish he had were:
1. Guppy tailed whitish brown mollies.
2. Black guppy tailed mollies.
3. Garfish, spotted and six inches long. He wants 1500 bucks apiece. Wish i had the tank space i need for them.
4. Small oscars, variegated, i think.

9873947858, call him if interested.

Guys who visit him must also visit anoher shop on the other side of the road. If u look carefully, u will find a small board showing a fish among the shop signs. It is easy to miss. If u open the door, u will see a staircase leadind to the first floor. The india gate shops gaurav shulka has his mom and pop running this shop. Please go and offer your custom to this shop. All the tanks are well kept. They had, this time:
Platinum mollies
Goldfish
Oscars
African rift valley cichlids

Seniour shukla is an old hobbyist. One old hobbyist told me he published a fish keeping magazine in the 80s. He used to breed fish and sell them, when this hobby was smaller, in delhi, decades ago!

Don't have his number now, will update it next time. The shop is full of equipment like lights and other aquarium accessories...

User avatar
Romi
Editor
Editor
Posts: 2726
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm
Location: North Delhi, NCR.
Contact:

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby Romi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:32 pm

okaaaay.... paid a visit to Anand Parbat after maybe 8 months or so? Got some nice longfin zebra danios because i will never grow up and i still feel the great joy i felt then when i keep them! got it form a shop in the middle of the row. Also got a female blue gourami for two golden gourami males i got from a cousin sister that i am supposed to keep happy. ha ha. This shop carries very ordinary fish, but good quality ordinary fish are a better than bad quality rare fish. the corner shop that i always go to for realy cheap tank equipment, had an algae-nibbling garra sp that is a good fish to keep as per my experience. but since i am waiting for bristlenose plecos, i didnt buy. ... came home with the sebras and two spot blue.

The exceptional fish i saw were, as is often the case, in Bengal aquarium. I didnt know raja demolised the shop and built a new one entirely!

wow, totaly different look now. all white washed, and larger, much larger, than before. some awesome surprizes, an eight inch Synspilum arrrested my eyes right away. then i was proudly shown an RTG arowana from Singapore backed with a proper authenticity certificate. This microchipped creature is a sub-adult with juvenile colouring, and available for................ 45 k! He has some long nosed garfish in with it, which, luckily, are a lot cheaper, hehe. RAja 9811727829.

the effect of the shop takes it to the top of the class in Anand Parbat. he also had a large 6-inch Red Parrot, that i liked. Distichodus, Indonesian Tigers (one that i really really liked, but as these fish grow a foot long, i know i cant keep it now. good prices, i think), sundry malawi cichlids, large and impressive Leporinus, giant gouramis.... Saw some Burundi Frontosas, i really like these comparitively peaceful cichlids. Raja has promised to tell me when he gets bristelnose plecos, so i am going to waiiiiiit.

if anyone can tell what else is available in delhi, please let me know. i am looking for some A class angelfish, i have a male who is lonely and a good breeder!

cheers!

devansh
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Fish and Other Livestock: Availability Update Thread

Unread postby devansh » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:06 pm

any one visited Laxmi nagar LFS? anand parvat or sarojini nagar few days back? i want to know if any one of these is stock good quality yellow & red severums. also where can i get NLS/Ocean brand fish food in delhi for good price?