Fish Profiles

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
KarthikC

Re: Fish Profiles

Unread post by KarthikC »

Frozen blood worms.
sub
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sub »

nice thread good pictorial information
KarthikC

sub wrote:nice thread good pictorial information
Thanks.. More coming up :)

Cheers,

Karthik
KarthikC

Glass Goby/Gobiopterus Chuno

Characteristics: Sluggish Swimmers. School only if there are more than 4-5 fish and when good amount of swimming space is available. Water force from the filter outlet should be less. I've seen them washed away by high flow (unlike your regular tetra). Very docile, never seen them chasing or nipping fins of other fish/their own kind. Please keep them with similar fish which have docile temperament.

Diet: Very tough to feed them with dead/frozen food. You have to keep the food in the filter power head outlet. When it sees the pellet or frozen food moving, it will decide to "test" it. Most of the time... thhooey.. its out of it's mouth. Frozen blood worms and the white tubifex are loved by this fish.

I have had decent success in feeding them with pellets. Here is the proof:

Yes, you can see the fish food inside the fish's belly, hence the name, you see ;) :D

Tank size etc: Although it grows to abot 1-2" I'd suggest a decent sized tank with carefully chosen tankmates and 8-10 of these fish. Amazing it will look. It will look good in planted tank, however, very sensitive to the co2 and other nutrients you add in the tank. Bigger tank will take the load better and with stable conditions, it is better for this fish. Temperature preferred again is 20-24 Deg. C. I've seen them inactive and stressed out at 25+ Deg. C. Some even died, unfortunately!

Tankmates: Since this is a docile fish, you may want to choose a docile tankmates. I'd say some bottom feeders like Devdevi loaches and stone cats etc. should be ok. If you keep them with shrimps, you can forget their breeding activity! Since they are very fussy about food, please avoid tankmates like barbs which gulp food greedily. These fish need to be watched carefully in the first 2-3 weeks you get them.

OK, some pics:

Another shot of filled belly ;) :

Size comparison with Oto, they grow 2-3 cms more that's it I think

Cheers,

Karthik
KarthikC

Ok, I see no updation from other guys. Let me continue :)

YOYO Loach/Botia almorhae

Characteristics: Bottom dwellers, but amazingly active. Like to be in groups of more than 3. If you have single, pair of loach, they're hiding most of the time. They have amazing pattern: YoYo on them :) Here's a pic:

Amazingly hardy fish and very hard to catch too. If you are planning to add them in the tank, make sure it's a long term decision :) THey're fun to watch in the tank.

Diet: They eat just about anything. They even come to the water surface (if there are no aggressive fish) to eat. Shrimp, peas, pellets, anything. There's a good thing about them: they eat snails. So if you have a spare tank other than your planted tank, you can add the snails you find in your planted tanks to them. They just suck the snails out of their shells. :)

Tank size etc: I think 5 of them can do well in a 2 feeter tank. Add suitable tankmates like small barbs, or any small fish of similar size. Strict no for planted tanks, compared to other loaches, these dig more. In fact when u have to mantain the tank, they go into hiding beneath stones, wood etc by digging into the substrate. Be cautious. A sandy substrate is a must since they love to dig into it to find food. They jump when they're stressed. Be careful.

Tankmates: Practically lives with any fish!! But be careful, the bigger fish might find this as a snack. I remember I had this fish with my oscar and the loaches never used to come out, but still lived through the turbulence ;) They do ok with other loaches. I had a schistura deniisoni with this, no problems at all. They don't trouble other fish; however, sometimes, they seem to pick off some food from other fish. This happened with my Angel Fish; but no serious attack etc.

One pic of my Yoyo School, as I said, they love to hang out together. You can see all 5 loaches in my tank, together.

Cheers,

Karthik
Last edited by KarthikC on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

how beautiful, kartik!

I had four, now two remain. . they don't do well being scale less, in small tanks and mine is 1.5 food Dophin. now I have them in a 2-footer which I think should be a minimum. very beautiful Indian native fish.
KarthikC

Romi wrote:how beautiful, kartik!

I had four, now two remain. . they don't do well being scale less, in small tanks and mine is 1.5 food Dophin. now I have them in a 2-footer which I think should be a minimum. very beautiful Indian native fish.
Thanks Romi ji. Yes, yoyos are beautiful fish and add lot of action to the tank they're in. :)

Cheers,

Karthik
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Very beautiful photographs!
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
KarthikC

SCORPIO wrote:Very beautiful photographs!
Thanks Rajiv ji :)

Cheers,

Karthik
KarthikC

Zodiac Loach/Triangularis Loach/Mesonoemacheilus triangularis

Characteristics: Bottom dwellers, active schoolers. They are fond of hiding more than the other loaches. They do well in high flow tanks.
Another long term fish if you're planning to get them. They get to about 4-5" TL depending on favourable conditions available or not.

Diet: Just like other loaches, they eat almost anything. Not at all a fussy eater and hardly requires any time to adjust to new food. Protein rich food does a lot of good to them. Occasional frozen peas and spirulina flakes can be a good mix. Please note that they can even eat floating pellets from top as well. :)

Tank size etc: Being a relatively small fish, two feeter should be a good tank size. But, depending on the other live stock, choose the tank size. For example, this loach can be an addition to a angelfish/barbs tank that is 3-4ft in length. This is another hardy loach which loves cool water, but can survive in other conditions too. As mentioned above, they tackle high flow with great ease compared to yoyo, botia striata and other loaches. This is what I have observed.

Tankmates: Lives with any fish, like the other loaches. But please choose fish with caution which do not harm this fish. This is a scale-less fish and prone to infection in case there's an attack. In my tank, this is living along with 18 barbd, two mystus canarensis and 4 botia striata. They love to school, even with other loaches and barbs.

Cheers,

Karthik