Fish Profiles

Forum for discuss freshwater/Brackish fishes.
KarthikC

Re: Fish Profiles

Unread post by KarthikC »

Haludaria Fasciata/Melon Barb

Characteristics: They are really active fish! Love to be in schools when scared, but not an active schooling species (like horadandia and rosy barb, they school for no reason at all). Most of the times, you will find them at the bottom, foraging the substrate for food. They like to hide when they're stressed and hardly come out, one characteristic I found unique among the barbs I've kept (others sit at the bottom in the open when stressed).

Diet: Micro pellets, regular pellets, Crushed Frozen peas, Algae growing on rocks. IMO benthic algae is their diet in wild, so don't expect it to clean your algae filled tank :D .

Tank size etc: a group of 5-6 barbs, along with similar barbs preferably from same habitat would need a 3' tank (length) for moving around well. Decent flow, clean and oxygenated water is highly appreciated. Also, while changing water, they get stressed out when you change more than 40% at a time. So, 25-30% water change twice a week to maintain clean water is really good. Definitely not a planted tank fish!!! It will make sure your planted tank is rescaped often. But, should be ok with deep rooted crypts, anubias and ferns.

Tankmates: As stated earlier, similar barbs preferably from same habitat. This is a docile fish and won't trouble most tankmates. Since it is very fast, greedy feeder, take care while housing it with fish like Angelfish etc. They might outcompete the other fish for food. A very hardy fish.

Please note that there are 3-4 variants depending on the collection location. The colouration and number or bands on the fish might be different from each location. However, characteristics are the same.

Cheers,

Karthik
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

It is no doubt a very beautiful species. i must admit i like the pinkish variant more, i wonder if all males grow pinkish with breeding season?

Barbs in India show a stupendous variety of colours and forms. To a beginner they seem similar, but as in the case of different tetras, they have their own distinctive charm.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Most of the Indian barb looks beautiful. Melon barb is also a beautiful fish.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
KarthikC

Romi wrote:It is no doubt a very beautiful species. i must admit i like the pinkish variant more, i wonder if all males grow pinkish with breeding season?

Barbs in India show a stupendous variety of colours and forms. To a beginner they seem similar, but as in the case of different tetras, they have their own distinctive charm.
Romiji,

The colouration of the melon barbs intensifies (in males) during the breeding season. Also, the area of collection matters. I have seen really melon red specimens in Tungabhadra river drainages, however, in some fast flowing waters, they're not as colourful and the bands also were varied.

Cheers,

Karthik
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by krishvijay »

KarthikC wrote:Ok, I see no updation from other guys. Let me continue :)

YOYO Loach/Botia almorhae

Characteristics: Bottom dwellers, but amazingly active. Like to be in groups of more than 3. If you have single, pair of loach, they're hiding most of the time. They have amazing pattern: YoYo on them :) Here's a pic:

Amazingly hardy fish and very hard to catch too. If you are planning to add them in the tank, make sure it's a long term decision :) THey're fun to watch in the tank.

Diet: They eat just about anything. They even come to the water surface (if there are no aggressive fish) to eat. Shrimp, peas, pellets, anything. There's a good thing about them: they eat snails. So if you have a spare tank other than your planted tank, you can add the snails you find in your planted tanks to them. They just suck the snails out of their shells. :)

Tank size etc: I think 5 of them can do well in a 2 feeter tank. Add suitable tankmates like small barbs, or any small fish of similar size. Strict no for planted tanks, compared to other loaches, these dig more. In fact when u have to mantain the tank, they go into hiding beneath stones, wood etc by digging into the substrate. Be cautious. A sandy substrate is a must since they love to dig into it to find food. They jump when they're stressed. Be careful.

Tankmates: Practically lives with any fish!! But be careful, the bigger fish might find this as a snack. I remember I had this fish with my oscar and the loaches never used to come out, but still lived thro.ugh the turbulence ;) They do ok with other loaches. I had a schistura deniisoni with this, no problems at all. They don't trouble other fish; however, sometimes, they seem to pick off some food from other fish. This happened with my Angel Fish; but no serious attack etc.

One pic of my Yoyo School, as I said, they love to hang out together. You can see all 5 loaches in my tank, together.

Cheers,

Karthik
I have two of these beauties can I keep shrimps with them?
Service to man,animals is service to GOD.
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

Beautiful.
KarthikC

krishvijay wrote:
KarthikC wrote:
I have two of these beauties can I keep shrimps with them?
Hi,

You cant have these fish with shrimps. They will DEFINITELY eat the shrimps.

Cheers,

Karthik
rajiv.mcks
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: RE: Re: Fish Profiles

Unread post by rajiv.mcks »

KarthikC wrote:Horadandia Brittani

Characteristics: These always stay in the middle portion of the aquarium. Very fast swimmers, can be difficult to catch in a densely planted tank. However, very docile towards other tank mates. Once fully set, shows off greenish-gold colouration. I've not had any of them jumping out of open top tanks. This fish schools really tightly, compared to your regular tetras. They school with other schooling fish too.

Diet: Crushed Pellets, micro pellets, blood worms, any small pellet or flake food that fits in its mouth. Not a fussy eater. This will definitely (and has, in my tank) eat your shrimlets, be careful. However, they don't feed from bottom, unless they see a shrimplet which can be gulped.

Tank size etc: A group of 8-10 would be ok with a 2' tank with less tank mates. Excellent choice for planted tanks. Can add contrast to your existing stock of tetras, let's say, in your 3' planted tank for example. A group of 15-20 fish would look spectacular.

Tankmates: Any docile, small fish would be ok. Not as fast as Zebra danio to be used as dithers. Would be fine with mid size or small size tetras and other regular planted tank fish. Definitely a potential live feed for Angelfish (lost 8 of them like this) and other aggressive monster fish, be careful while stocking.

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7560/15703747629_20488c5c7e_c.jpg[/img]

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7501/15765388280_de1e83b59f_c.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Karthik
Beautiful fish Karthik :) where did u source them from ?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

These fishes sometime available with Jitender Sarojini nagar market
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
krishvijay
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by krishvijay »

Karthik thanks for the reply...but I have a lone shrimp surviving two yoyo ...who hides all the time....I made a mistake by getting that shrimp oopsbig ..
Service to man,animals is service to GOD.