Shrimp Tankmates

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Shrimp Tankmates

Unread post by slowpoison »

My tank, as you can see had lots of green stuff for them to eat. But by the time I got my hand to them, the damage had already been done. I had placed a special order for otos, and for that reason(as I got to know later), the fish was subject to drastic changes in water parameters for almost 3 days before it got to me. From one lfs to another. Thats why I decided i will go for fish from friends aquarium that have bred, or might spend a fortune, but get quality crits from renowned shops like petsme or tailwaggers or petco.
Regards,
Arijit
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

This happens all the time...with ottos.

all one can do is avoid it happening again, by dealing with knowledgeable dealers only. I know that is difficult but better to wait for months to do it, than risk so much time and money. I wish we had more hobbyist breeders, in Delhi there is only Vijendra Suryavanshi. he has bred bristlenoses and sold them many times. perhaps some aquapetz member still has them and is breeding them?
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

I wouldn't blame them. breeding is a full time job. Getting the fish to breed is hard enough, but to raise fry is another ball game.
Regards,
Arijit
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:This happens all the time...with ottos.

all one can do is avoid it happening again, by dealing with knowledgeable dealers only. I know that is difficult but better to wait for months to do it, than risk so much time and money. I wish we had more hobbyist breeders, in Delhi there is only Vijendra Suryavanshi. he has bred bristlenoses and sold them many times. perhaps some aquapetz member still has them and is breeding them?

Breeding is not a problem but intrest and space a big problem for me.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote: The otos, the shrimp, the bristlenose, all are fond of green food and foods like courgette, cucumber and pumpkin. How much fun feeding them all together would be.
A delightful image

:1 for the Bristlenose, if the tank is large enough
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

I did not know about the pumpkin. Thats on their menu?
Regards,
Arijit
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Pumpkins sounds legit. Romi can explain more.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

yes, squash, pumpkin, cucumber, 'taroi', spinach, lettuce.... there are so many vegggies to try...

bristlenoses can have individual preferences. so your particular fish might like something no one else tried yet.... it can also refuse something they are supposed to eat... except spinach and courgette which are all time favourites. And French beans!

An eastern European lady used to discuss local veggies in her area that her fish loved. And asked me to find out what veggies in my area were also accepted. .... I am sure the fish would have liked more variety.

My fish were later very easily spooked by my angels, who started breeding that time. now I regret I did not watch out for this issue. Vijendra bred them so many times, and I got so many from him. All I did was to get him one unrelated male and he offered me so many back...sigh.

sorry, I digressed. yes, they eat a lot of veggies. but you have to be careful and see what their personal quirks are. and always remove the left over veggies or they will stink and foul the water.

I have never kept ottos, but I have read they also have varied tastes. I wanted to try them because they are so small and adorable, but the ones I saw were so undernourished and cadaverous, I didn't want to risk taking them home..... I just had a Leopard Pleco, a Gold Spot Pleco (L01), and Bristle nose (Ancistrus spp.). Many popular plecos love salad bars! I got all of them from Anand Parbat (Bengal Aquarium). if I get the chance to get ottos again, I will get them. I like fish which eat easy to get food, breed easily; ottos will breed in a well planted tank when fed well and not overcrowded.
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

sounds pretty interesting. I have never thought about keeping plecos. whats the size of the pleco in your tank? And do they dig/uproot /eat soft-stemmed plants?
Also whats the cost of plecos in your city(to get an idea)?
Regards,
Arijit
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I got the male Ancistrus or Bristlenose for around 500 I think that Vijjy used to breed. I think he paid same price for a female or a bit less.

Ancistrus have their own website, long finned strain remains smaller. www.bristlenoseworld.com