Freshwater Clam

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Freshwater Clam

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote:freshwater clams are not easy to keep... -snip
Agreed. Most 'reliable sources' advise against the idea. Yet the idea of a 'living filter' seems oddly attractive to me since I have been trying to make a
semi-self sustainable aquarium for some time now. I got even more interested because I did come across saltwater tanks on the web which are able to sustain colonies of these critters. I thought a freshwater one will be worth a try. I have been doing a whole lot of reading and the cons outweigh the pros.
Although I may not be able to keep one at this stage but it is an interesting idea to toy with. The question that is arising in my head is, can a small population (say 2-4) of small sized clams thrive in well established, densely planted, balanced aquarium?
slowpoison wrote:Maybe a few months later.... when I know more about them.
Go ahead. It will be a worthwhile experiment. Post your results here :)
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by slowpoison »

Naufil wrote:
I meant I'll need to know a hell lot more. So far I dont know anybody with first-hand experience with clams. I heard they burrow in the substrate and stick their feeders out. Thats how they eat, by filtering and feeding. I hate the idea of any of these dying inside the substrate leading to a humongous nh3 spike. I wouldn't even know if they are still alive in the sand or not. Also read, they eats tons and easily starve.
Regards,
Arijit
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

slowpoison wrote: I meant I'll need to know a hell lot more. So far I dont know anybody with first-hand experience with clams. I heard they burrow in the substrate and stick their feeders out. Thats how they eat, by filtering and feeding. I hate the idea of any of these dying inside the substrate leading to a humongous nh3 spike. I wouldn't even know if they are still alive in the sand or not. Also read, they eats tons and easily starve.
Not forcing you or anything, but I think it will be a worthwhile idea. I wanna try it myself.
It can be done in any separate container with decent water flow I think, if one wants to keep ones tank clean.
There must be someway of feeding them. Though I understand that species biology can differ but if they can survive in saltwater tanks they might in freshwater too.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

slowpoison wrote:
Naufil wrote:
I meant I'll need to know a hell lot more. So far I dont know anybody with first-hand experience with clams. I heard they burrow in the substrate and stick their feeders out. Thats how they eat, by filtering and feeding. I hate the idea of any of these dying inside the substrate leading to a humongous nh3 spike. I wouldn't even know if they are still alive in the sand or not. Also read, they eats tons and easily starve.
The digging habit will surely drive an ordinary aquarist nuts. They are most likely adapted to staying out of view ...
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Prepare for NH3 spike!!
Kaushik
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Kaushik »

Interesting threads .... will follow up every bits...
"If you salute your duty, you need not salute anybody. But if you pollute your duty,you have to salute everybody.“
We have a choice. Do what pleases us and then face the consequences or else abide by our duty and stand tall
-A P J Abdul Kalam
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Kaushik wrote:Interesting threads .... will follow up every bits...
Thanks sir for taking interest in the thread
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

I have come across some info about clams that makes them unsuitable for any tank that contains fish and no its not about NH3.
It has got to do with the way these animals reproduce. The males release sperm into the water which is siphoned by the females to fertilize their eggs.
Once developed they released parasitic larvae called glochidia into the water. These enter the fish through their gills and clamp on.
They suck their nutrition from the fish gills until they grow into smaller versions of adult clams and fall off. Needless to say they cause stress and irritation to the fish and can cause death to delicate species. Glochidia that clamp on the skin of the fish get walled off into cysts as the fish regrows skin and are cause of further stress. However clams are unlikely to breed in captivity, like all aquatic fauna they are particular about their water parameters.

However this certainly is not meant as a deterrent to those who want to keep clams. Those who are interested in inverts can keep them in separate tanks with a good flow rate and absolutely no filtration. Clams need the debris in water column to feed themselves. They however are not active animals, prefer to remain hidden in the substrate and despise strong lights and as Romi pointed out that because of their unconventionality are liable to cause loss of interest in the fish keeper's mind unless he is really knowledgeable. Still if you want to keep them, I will say go ahead...they are not an endangered species anyway and if things don't workout you can steam them for dinner. They taste good with sauce.

Here is some information related to feeding freshwater clams (yes its possible!)

takeca
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Naufil wrote:I have come across some info about clams that makes them unsuitable for any tank that contains fish and no its not about NH3.
It has got to do with the way these animals reproduce. The males release sperm into the water which is siphoned by the females to fertilize their eggs.
Once developed they released parasitic larvae called glochidia into the water. These enter the fish through their gills and clamp on.
They suck their nutrition from the fish gills until they grow into smaller versions of adult clams and fall off. Needless to say they cause stress and irritation to the fish and can cause death to delicate species. Glochidia that clamp on the skin of the fish get walled off into cysts as the fish regrows skin and are cause of further stress. However clams are unlikely to breed in captivity, like all aquatic fauna they are particular about their water parameters.
[ Image ]

However this certainly is not meant as a deterrent to those who want to keep clams. Those who are interested in inverts can keep them in separate tanks with a good flow rate and absolutely no filtration. Clams need the debris in water column to feed themselves. They however are not active animals, prefer to remain hidden in the substrate and despise strong lights and as Romi pointed out that because of their unconventionality are liable to cause loss of interest in the fish keeper's mind unless he is really knowledgeable. Still if you want to keep them, I will say go ahead...they are not an endangered species anyway and if things don't workout you can steam them for dinner. They taste good with sauce.

Here is some information related to feeding freshwater clams (yes its possible!)

takeca
if clams exhibit the same reproductive pattern as mussels, it may be a good idea to keep some feeder fish the the clam tank. :idea:
Regards,
Arijit
slowpoison
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Naufil wrote: Still if you want to keep them, I will say go ahead...they are not an endangered species anyway and if things don't workout you can steam them for dinner. They taste good with sauce.
This should help then:
http://allrecipes.com/howto/cooking-clams/
Regards,
Arijit