Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
stephndsz
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by stephndsz »

Abhishek wrote:Hi, Ishaan asked me to write what I have learnt little about shrimp keeping, so trying to gather all the experiences what I have-
Please feel free to add if you guys have something...

1. Substrate - Different kind of species require different kind of substrates, bulk prefer acidic except the sulawesi species who prefer a strong and stable ph on the higher side. So if you are planning to keep crystal red shrimp, crystal black shrimp, tiger shrimp, yellow etc. I would prefer you to go with a acidic dark color substrate as we have access to only ada amazonia so its good. And about dark substrate the reason behind, all the shrimps adapt to the color of the substrate - if its dark colored then their best color will come out, if its white or light colored then their colors will be pale.
You all can try it out by yourself. I have tried and wait a little till I post some of the snaps..

2.Tank Size - The more the better is what they say and thats it, but if you are going for a bigger tank size with those expensive species the foremost thing is to be considered is about the water quality, they wont give you time for treatment and its hard to find what is the reason behind their ill health, so a canister for a bigger tank is the best option.

3. Filtration - The foremost thing required to keep this small things, the more you provide the best its. But internal filters are a no go coz they can suck the shrimplets, so best is to provide a HOB, a sponge filter or a canister so that your shrimplets are safe. And about HOB and canister cover the inlet with a sponge or mosquito net. I have personally checked that they like to swim infront of the water flow and if you provide a higher water current they just love flowing against it, reason unknown may be due to higher amount of o2 content or food particles, check and see.

4.Food - Feed them atleast twice in a week and provide a varied diet. For the more sensitive species would ask to use mosura, shirakura and recently chris has come up with a new food, you can try that also. One thing to be noted that if their diet contains vegetable based matter most their color will be more attractive, if meat based content then their color might be a little pale but growth will be good.

5. Improving coloration - There are various ways such as food, the Japanese use good amount of light to remove the pigmentation, selective inbreeding, cross breeding, substrate color and most importantly water quality.

6. Disease or Parasites - Mostly things to be serious is hydra, planaria - and they can be removed either dropping some fish or using fenbendazole. Fenbendazole in right quantity wont effect your shrimps, but will kill the parasites and the rotting parasites can increase the ammonia content in your water, which is harmful. So i prefer to clean up the tank.

7. Tank Mates - There has been loads of discussion going on almost every forum across the globe what can be ideal tank mates for shrimps and its proven that only ottocinclus is safe with shrimps and shrimplets. Other fishes might not go against your shrimp but they wont hesitate to go against the shrimplets..

8. Molting - The most important thing about the beautiful creatures, if they molt properly all is well, if not their is some issue. And right amount of iodine and calcium help them in good molting..

9. Inbreeding - There are mainly two genus Neo cardina and Cardina. You can keep neo cardina with a cardina species but mixing the same genus will result in some odd looking off springs due to inbreeding. I would prefer to keep only one shrimp species in one tank coz different species have different requirement..

Thats all I can remember if I am missing anything please let me know.

I have a question.. would keeping shrimp in a community tank reduce the debris in the tank? my dwarf sagittaria is collecting debris now so i wondering if having shrimp would clean that up?
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Debris cleaning I dont know how much help they will do.

These are basically scavengers, and can clean the leftover. Please provide an image of the debris the sagittaria is collecting.
stephndsz
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by stephndsz »

Abhishek wrote:Debris cleaning I dont know how much help they will do.

These are basically scavengers, and can clean the leftover. Please provide an image of the debris the sagittaria is collecting.

much clearer now.. after water change
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

I guess this can be cleaned by either water change or through more filtration.

Shrimps wont be of that much help.
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

Abhishek wrote:I guess this can be cleaned by either water change or through more filtration.

Shrimps wont be of that much help.
Yep, you need better water circulation, shrimps wont be able to clear them
anirudh777
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by anirudh777 »

What is the thumb rule of tank size requirement for shrimps?I'm getting them next month . RCS :D
sushant

Re: RE: Re: Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by sushant »

anirudh777 wrote:What is the thumb rule of tank size requirement for shrimps?I'm getting them next month . RCS :D
Get the largest tank that you can manage, anything smaller than 30 gallons will be challenging just remember Stability is the key to success with shrimps.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
Sushant
anirudh777
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: RE: Re: Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by anirudh777 »

sushant wrote:
anirudh777 wrote:What is the thumb rule of tank size requirement for shrimps?I'm getting them next month . RCS :D
Get the largest tank that you can manage, anything smaller than 30 gallons will be challenging just remember Stability is the key to success with shrimps.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
I'm planning to keep them in a 5 gallon tank.I have a 15gallon tank , but I have serpae tetras in it . So can't keep any shrimp in there