Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by Abhishek »

Hi, Ishaan asked me to write what I have learnt little about shrimp keeping, so trying to gather all the experiences what I have-
Please feel free to add if you guys have something...

1. Substrate - Different kind of species require different kind of substrates, bulk prefer acidic except the sulawesi species who prefer a strong and stable ph on the higher side. So if you are planning to keep crystal red shrimp, crystal black shrimp, tiger shrimp, yellow etc. I would prefer you to go with a acidic dark color substrate as we have access to only ada amazonia so its good. And about dark substrate the reason behind, all the shrimps adapt to the color of the substrate - if its dark colored then their best color will come out, if its white or light colored then their colors will be pale.
You all can try it out by yourself. I have tried and wait a little till I post some of the snaps..

2.Tank Size - The more the better is what they say and thats it, but if you are going for a bigger tank size with those expensive species the foremost thing is to be considered is about the water quality, they wont give you time for treatment and its hard to find what is the reason behind their ill health, so a canister for a bigger tank is the best option.

3. Filtration - The foremost thing required to keep this small things, the more you provide the best its. But internal filters are a no go coz they can suck the shrimplets, so best is to provide a HOB, a sponge filter or a canister so that your shrimplets are safe. And about HOB and canister cover the inlet with a sponge or mosquito net. I have personally checked that they like to swim infront of the water flow and if you provide a higher water current they just love flowing against it, reason unknown may be due to higher amount of o2 content or food particles, check and see.

4.Food - Feed them atleast twice in a week and provide a varied diet. For the more sensitive species would ask to use mosura, shirakura and recently chris has come up with a new food, you can try that also. One thing to be noted that if their diet contains vegetable based matter most their color will be more attractive, if meat based content then their color might be a little pale but growth will be good.

5. Improving coloration - There are various ways such as food, the Japanese use good amount of light to remove the pigmentation, selective inbreeding, cross breeding, substrate color and most importantly water quality.

6. Disease or Parasites - Mostly things to be serious is hydra, planaria - and they can be removed either dropping some fish or using fenbendazole. Fenbendazole in right quantity wont effect your shrimps, but will kill the parasites and the rotting parasites can increase the ammonia content in your water, which is harmful. So i prefer to clean up the tank.

7. Tank Mates - There has been loads of discussion going on almost every forum across the globe what can be ideal tank mates for shrimps and its proven that only ottocinclus is safe with shrimps and shrimplets. Other fishes might not go against your shrimp but they wont hesitate to go against the shrimplets..

8. Molting - The most important thing about the beautiful creatures, if they molt properly all is well, if not their is some issue. And right amount of iodine and calcium help them in good molting..

9. Inbreeding - There are mainly two genus Neo cardina and Cardina. You can keep neo cardina with a cardina species but mixing the same genus will result in some odd looking off springs due to inbreeding. I would prefer to keep only one shrimp species in one tank coz different species have different requirement..

Thats all I can remember if I am missing anything please let me know.
ishaan

Re: Basics of Shrimp Keeping

Unread post by ishaan »

thats great piece of information ,but some queries left:

1). Water Changes- after how much time water changes should be done and should we used aged tap water or water treated with Rid All anti chlorine can be used?

2). please tell about "neo cardina and cardina species".
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhishek

ishaan wrote:thats great piece of information ,but some queries left:

1). Water Changes- after how much time water changes should be done and should we used aged tap water or water treated with Rid All anti chlorine can be used?

Good questions--
1. Water change - dont make it big and massive such as 30%-40%, but 10%-20% weekly is advisable reason being they are very susceptible against major water parameter changes.. Best is to use aged tap water and no chemicals please.. Make it as simple as it can be..

2. About the next one preparing a chart once its done will post here..
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Abhishek wrote:
ishaan wrote:thats great piece of information ,but some queries left:

Good questions--
1. Water change - dont make it big and massive such as 30%-40%, but 10%-20% weekly is advisable reason being they are very susceptible against major water parameter changes.. Best is to use aged tap water and no chemicals please.. Make it as simple as it can be..

2. About the next one preparing a chart once its done will post here..
oh i forgot to ask about fertilizers that are used for plants?Can they be used with shrimps :?: :?:
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
Abhishek

ishaan wrote: oh i forgot to ask about fertilizers that are used for plants?Can they be used with shrimps :?: :?:
No buddy I wont recommend that reason being everything in right quantity is perfect but little here and there, can result in disaster and also I wont recommend using co2 because it can lead to co2 fluctuations..
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

nice write up buddy...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

nice peice of info for keepin shrimp...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice writeup.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I heard if I am using Glut I cant keep shrimp or its very risky :?:
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

thats natural if abhishek bro is recomending not using fertilizers than glut is even more risky.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868