Ghost Shrimps.

Forum for discuss freshwater/ Brackish Invertebrates.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ghost Shrimps.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

First time I kept Ghost shrimps before 4-5 years. After several months, gave to another hobbyist. Last month, we collected some ghost shrimps from Bagpat, Yamuna River. This time I released them in a new scape to take care of algae. They worked very well.

Yesterday evening I saw that a female is carrying eggs. They are visible and you can see easily in the photographs.
ghostshrimp31072015.jpg
ghostshrimp31072015A.jpg
ghostshrimp31072015B.jpg

Comments are most welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Re: Ghost Shrimps.

Unread post by sushant »

Great pics Rajiv ji. They are looking much beautiful in the picture. I had kept some in the past but gave up , because I didn't find them to be fish safe.
Sushant
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

sushant wrote:because I didn't find them to be fish safe.
+1, especially with small fish and fry.
I had quite a few jump also from my hood-less tank
But they are a treat to watch if kept properly :)
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

They are beautiful but threat for slow moving fishes.
rajiv.mcks
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rajiv.mcks »

I did keep ghost shrimp many years back and discovered my neon & cardinal tetra numbers are going down .. it was only when I switched on the aquarium light late at night, I caught the culprit red handed .. it was a ghost shrimp with a half eaten neon tetra in his hand :) have them back to the aquarium store and never kept this species thereafter ..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

rajiv.mcks wrote:I did keep ghost shrimp many years back and discovered my neon & cardinal tetra numbers are going down .. it was only when I switched on the aquarium light late at night, I caught the culprit red handed .. it was a ghost shrimp with a half eaten neon tetra in his hand :) have them back to the aquarium store and never kept this species thereafter ..

I am keeping them in place of Amano shrimps. My new aquarium is almost algae free. They are good algae eaters. There are also angel fish.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

rajiv.mcks
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: RE: Re: Ghost Shrimps.

Unread post by rajiv.mcks »

SCORPIO wrote:
rajiv.mcks wrote:I did keep ghost shrimp many years back and discovered my neon & cardinal tetra numbers are going down .. it was only when I switched on the aquarium light late at night, I caught the culprit red handed .. it was a ghost shrimp with a half eaten neon tetra in his hand :) have them back to the aquarium store and never kept this species thereafter ..

I am keeping them in place of Amano shrimps. My new aquarium is almost algae free. They are good algae eaters. There are also angel fish.
Yes I guess they are suitable in tanks with larger fish like angels and discuss. What is your experience with cherry red shrimp and Algae control ?

KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

I've had ghost shrimps with otos, neon tetras, horadandias etc. with zero problems. They're very good in uprooting (not eating) bba and thread algae.

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I don't know this exact species name, but it is a beautiful one. i wish they were fish safe. Really enjoyed them when i had a pair. When pregnant, the female really looks fantastic, like she is carrying a fluorescent green bag inside herself :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:I don't know this exact species name, but it is a beautiful one. i wish they were fish safe. Really enjoyed them when i had a pair. When pregnant, the female really looks fantastic, like she is carrying a fluorescent green bag inside herself :D

:1 :1