microfex

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
sushant

microfex

Unread post by sushant »

many of them embers here are culturing this worm but i have not yet seen any post here on how to culture them and things to be taken care of.so would request all of them to please come forward and share your knowledge on the same. (though there are many post on the same but i want something original from our members) .
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: microfex

Unread post by Romi »

fill a plastic shaving box with half an inch of water. add a scotchbrite pad. add three-quarters teaspoon ground oatmeal powder. mix it in the water well. add a few hundred microfex (5 mm ball) . change water daily without disturbing worms with a 60 ml syringe (minus needle), adding fresh food each time, until u gain in confidence and know when u can neglect them for 2-3 days withour harm. Once the worms multiply, make more boxes.

i found them in delhi in 2008 or so. if u google them, there are other ways of culturing them. Americans add dead fish etc as food. u can google it, lots of info. This was just my way, it's cheaper, easier. Ashish found one worm in his tank recently, Binesh in Bangalore also told me that he found a few, so this particular species is Indian.

members who hav raised them successfully include Vijendra and Amir. Syed Ali too, hopefully. Deepak in Bangalore will be next! Exchanging them for mealworms :P

They are not suggested for anyone who does not like to google new ways of keeping them if this way does not suit him. such a person should keep red wigglers, they are the easiest of the lot and a starter can be purchased from Arushi Honey, Jamia Nagar Delhi. Red wiggler culture (eisenia fetida) is popular in America, if u google, u will get a million hits.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Here is a pic of these worms cultivated by Vijendra Suryavanshi, who has been keeping them for at least 2 years. This pic shows how successful he has been, the worms in this one box can feed several tanks of fish like his remarkable Apistos! He has the most productive hobbyist fish breeding outfit in NCR that i know about!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Romi wrote:Here is a pic of these worms cultivated by Vijendra Suryavanshi, who has been keeping them for at least 2 years. This pic shows how successful he has been, the worms in this one box can feed several tanks of fish like his remarkable Apistos! He has the most productive hobbyist fish breeding outfit in NCR that i know about!
Buddy all thanks to your "Romifex" and grindals and compost worms and what not that my fish are in top notch breeding condition......:)
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

I tried my home made food in one culture box and overnight there was an explosion in the population of the worms.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

VishaalDalal wrote:I tried my home made food in one culture box and overnight there was an explosion in the population of the worms.
Is that good or bad??
'
if you mean multiplied many folds than would like to know more about it, otherwise will use your experience to add something in "not to do" list.
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

sushant wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:I tried my home made food in one culture box and overnight there was an explosion in the population of the worms.
Is that good or bad??
'
if you mean multiplied many folds than would like to know more about it, otherwise will use your experience to add something in "not to do" list.
The explosion was not the type that causes an mini earthquake, sushant :lol: It only caused some extra satisfied grins to appear on Vishaal's fish's faces.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Now, you better share the recipe of your homemade fish food right here vishaal. We don't care for your excuses, we need explosions in our culturing containers also, the cold is making the worms really unproductive wiht oatmeal only fed to them.
VishaalDalal

Romi wrote:
Now, you better share the recipe of your homemade fish food right here vishaal. We don't care for your excuses, we need explosions in our culturing containers also, the cold is making the worms really unproductive wiht oatmeal only fed to them.
animal liver20%, Shrimp 10%, Fish 5%, mixed some food pellets bought when I started and did not know better, a little bit of Garlic, Yeast, and set in gelatin.

Alternated with homemade mix (1 spoon Besan, 1 spoon Kutu atta, 1 spoon, normal atta, heat a little bit of water in a pan put in all 3 and stir till it becomes a thick paste only mildly cook and cool, keep in the freezer.)
VishaalDalal

microfex.jpg
VishaalDalal wrote:
Romi wrote:
animal liver20%, Shrimp 10%, Fish 5%, mixed some food pellets bought when I started and did not know better, a little bit of Garlic, Yeast, and set in gelatin.

Alternated with homemade mix (1 spoon Besan, 1 spoon Kutu atta, 1 spoon, normal atta, heat a little bit of water in a pan put in all 3 and stir till it becomes a thick paste only mildly cook and cool, keep in the freezer.)
here is the photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.