How to culture microworms

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: How to culture microworms

Unread post by Matrix »

ishaan wrote:how are you guyz managing microworms in the extreme heat. my microwrorm cultures were running well but as the heat increased they stopped climbing the sides of the container :cnf
Just make sure that you keep it moist inside that container. Dont let the mix dry. I faced the same issue mine dried couple of time but fortunately only the top layer. Added some tank water next day could see lots of them on the walls.
---
Amol
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

Matrix wrote:
ishaan wrote:how are you guyz managing microworms in the extreme heat. my microwrorm cultures were running well but as the heat increased they stopped climbing the sides of the container :cnf
Just make sure that you keep it moist inside that container. Dont let the mix dry. I faced the same issue mine dried couple of time but fortunately only the top layer. Added some tank water next day could see lots of them on the walls.
my culture is moist and i can see countless worms on the mix but now they don't come to the walls. :wait
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

it seems you culture prefers swiming in the heat better than being eaten..hehe..moddy buggers I must say..hehehe..;) :D
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

ishaan wrote:
Matrix wrote:
my culture is moist and i can see countless worms on the mix but now they don't come to the walls. :wait

Just give the container a shake wait for a minute and you'll find them on the wall :idea:
---
Amol
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Matrix wrote:
ishaan wrote:
Matrix wrote:

Just give the container a shake wait for a minute and you'll find them on the wall :idea:
thanks will try that tomorrow :thnk
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

received the starter culture from Wojtek yesterday :) . would like to know that how long does the culture lasts and when can we conclude that its time to start a new culture?
Sushant
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

I made two more bottles as soon as I got the culture
so now I have three and I can see worms crawling in all of them

I think it depends upon the consistency and volume of media
When the production starts declining or you see that the medium has turned dark brown, you should start a fresh batch
I'll start one every 3-4 weeks
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

:D
Arjun Tandon wrote:I made two more bottles as soon as I got the culture
so now I have three and I can see worms crawling in all of them

I think it depends upon the consistency and volume of media
When the production starts declining or you see that the medium has turned dark brown, you should start a fresh batch
I'll start one every 3-4 weeks
I agree that when it turns brown, it is convenient to start a new culture.

But i have to tell u and Sushant a leeeetle secret. When i do needs lots of microworms, i just sprinkle more yeast grains on top, and the boy, the microworms are ready for world travel the next day!

A packet of dry yeast costs about 35 bucks and lasts for months, available in baking-goods shop, so no downside to this at all.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

wow! That's cool! Thanks
jackdanio
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jackdanio »

Dear All,
I am looking for a microworm starter culture. Shall be in Delhi on 14th or 15th. Shall also try and make it to the meet.
Shall be grateful if any fellow hobbyist could get me some starter culture.