what do you feed ??

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
jack

what do you feed ??

Unread post by jack »

Every person in this hobby, whether new or old to the hobby; keeping a Planted, Chichlids, Marines, Goldfish, Shrimps or just anything in tank, you have to answer the questions about feeding. Let's make this a place to share our feeding habits and logic behind what, when, how, and how much.
(try to keep the format and add your answers)

1.)When do you feed your tank?

2.)What do you feed your tank (brand name if you know it?)

3.)How much do you feed your tank at each feeding?

4.)How do you prepare what you are feeding?

5.)How do you feed (feed tube, throw it on top, etc)?

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc)

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use.

8.)Basic Tank information: Tank size in US Gallons OR liters and heavy, medium, or light fish population?
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
jack

Re: what do you feed ??

Unread post by jack »

ok i will start with my tanks

TANK 1 (semi planted and Angle tank)

I feed this tank basically 2 to 3 times a day, Morning, afternoon and night.

I am foodie ;) and in food business :D i hate monotous food everyday, so as my fish
my list is
tetra bits
tetra bits energy
brine shrimps gel
sprilinua flakes
brineshrimps flakes
ADA gold
ADA regular
Cyclopezee Wafers
Hikari Biogold
Hikari chichlids pellets
algae wafers
ADA garlic flakes
Bloodworm mix and many more forget the names :LOL

i feed give frequent feedings, so my quantity is very less consumed less than 1 to 1.5 minute

its complicated and long process :D just open the packet and feed

throw it on the top except the cyclopezee wafer which i feed once a week, i soak them in garlic and then feed.

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a reason, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc)

no reason but i have seen when ever i feed cyclopezee wafers and brine shrimp gel (i got from Italy) the angles triggers in to breeding. Trust me once a week i see my 4 confirm pairs of angles in 4 corners protecting the eggs, but no time to take efforts to breed :(

Go for the Best is my motto.

8.)Basic Tank information: Tank size in US Gallons OR liters and heavy, medium, or light fish population?

light population
around 400 liters

TANK 2 (nano tank)

2 times a day

anything i feel like from the above mentioned list

less than a flake :D

ready to eat ;)

soak it and then try to semi float

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc)

less waste and nitrate control

----

around 25 liters
4 threadfin tetra

TANK 3 (MARINE) (havent spend much time with marine though have all type of food)

three times, morning, afternoon and night

variety of hikari foods
algae wafers
3 types of sea weeds
carnivorous and herbivorous blocks
cyclopezee wafers
garlic flakes
NLS range of food
and many more dont really remember the name

that can be consumed in less than 2 mins

ready to use.

throw in on top and some times soak in garlic

less food less problems

around 900 liters
just couple of fishes
jack

Unread post by jack »

how could i forget i sometimes feed live worms..... and give a fast for 2 meals once a week that is usually sunday :)
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

Morning & evening, Sundays Thrice.

1. Hikari , cichlid bio gold, marine A and marine S, discus bio gold, freeze dried blood worms.
2. NLS Thera A
3. Ocean Nutrition formula one flake, Brine shrimp flake
4. Sera Marin flakes
5. Brine shrimp in gel base

Food that gets finished in 1-2 mins

Mixology

Spread it on top, While had marine target feed sometimes

No specific reason

Deworming for large SA cichlids and FH

35 Gal : Moderate fish Load
65 Gal: Moderate fish load
10 Gal: Light fish load
55 Gal: Moderate fish load
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
jack

Unread post by jack »

its just Abhi is feeding his fishes ?? common guys please share... we can create a good data base of whats all is feed.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Ans: Twice a day

Ans: Tetra Bits, Aquael food, Hikari discus bio gold, dried worms etc. and peas.

Ans: I feed 3-4 times each time. Offer only half no of food grains at a time so that fishes can pick quickly.

Ans: Opens packet/box and offers in the aquarium.

Ans: Through from the top. If I out of station, I prepares two packet of each day for each aquarium. Put these packets over the aquarium hood. My brother offers foods to them.

Ans: I like Controlled feeding so that less waste in the aquarium.

Ans: Most of fishes also eat vegetation in the natural habitat. So we should add some vegetation in their food. I don't offers them any type of live food. But always keep some RCS and native shrimps in the tank so that they can occasionally got live food by their efforts.

At present I have following tanks:
1. 90 X 45 X 45 >> Planted tank with RCS and Zebra Danios, 1 male betta
2. 90 X 45 X 45 >> Brakish with with mono angels and native indian crabs
3. 72 X 38 X 38 >> Planted Aquarium with Horadandia atukorali
4. 45 X 30 X 30 >> No fish at present
5. 20 X 20 X 20 >> Planted with a pair of endler guppy
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

My report:

Usually twice a day. Sometimes, more often when i feel some fish needs extra care.

Dry foods: Hikari Tropical Flakes, Hikari Goldfish Flakes, Sera Flakes (one of either type depending on what i have of the three then), Tetrabits, Today's Dried Blood Worms, Aquafin Algae wafer (dont like it, just waiting for it to finish), Aquadene Micropellets (fish dont like it usually, so the snails get it!), Today's Dried Tubifex cubes.

Life foods: Compost worms (rarely now, since only angels are large enough for them), Grindals (all small and medium fish), Romifex-microfex (every single fish, when i have enough of this fine red worm type), Microworms (for fry, small guppies, adult threadfin raibows)

Two pinches of each, usually, for dry food. For worms, depending on fish appetite and culture capacity!

Dry food is obviously fed in that form. The live food is cultured in plastic tub and plastic shaving boxes.

Drop it in! No fish i like want it different.

The way i have decided the fish like it, is they way i feed it. Every species is a learning curve. Every life food is a learning curve. Too much to extrapolate here. But learning is enjoying, ....

Dry food is 30% wasted overall, live food is eaten right away and usually 100%. Fish lives can be saved with live food, and breeding projects put in fast forward mode with them. Dry food is good for when u dont have time, or your life food is not available (happens often enough).

Four tanks curreently, all roughly 2-footers, None aquascaped. One bare except for wood and sponge filter. Eheim 2213 retired for time being. just using Boyu and Ejet Sponge filters. Fish population comprises Threadfin Rainbows, Gouramis, Emerald Dwarf Rasboras, Cobra-halfbalck-moscow guppies, Angelfish, Upside-down Mystus Catish.

Whew! :roll: Long story!
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I didnt mention the mosquito larvae that i fed my guppies, raboras, gouramis etc for a decade. The dengue scare forced me to empty the tanks and tubs outside. Who wants to pay a fine of 5k?> not me :LOL
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

Twice a day, morning and night.

Hikari Algae Wafers And hikari shrimp cuisine for shrimp + ottos tank
Live mosquito larva for Betta Tank

just 2 wafers to the shrimp tank and few mosquitoes larva to the betta.

I just net out the larvas and wash them before feeding and for the pellets/ wafers directly feed them.

Usually throw at the top making sure there is no plant at the bottom.

I keep in mind that there is no plant at the bottom so that i am able to observe them :roll:

Nothing ;)

Betta Tank: 7.5
Shrimp tank: 33.7
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Usually twice a day. Morning and Night.

Dry foods:Tetrabits, Today's Dried Blood Worms, Today's Dried Tubifex cubes. home made food(animal liver20%, Shrimp 10%, Fish 5%, mixed some food pellets bought when I started and did not know better, a little bit of Garlic, Yeast, and set in geletin)

Life foods: Compost worms (rarely now, since only angels are large enough for them), Romifex-microfex culture recently obtained from Vijender

one measure of a very small plastic spoon(came with the Yogurt) for dry food. Peas and home made food every second third day as much as can be eaten in 2-3 minutes

Dry food is fed directly and the home made food is kept in the freezer and crushed before being fed same for Peas which are blanched and chushed.

open the top and drop

I like to look at them when they eat

Fish will eat anything (almost) if hungry enough but are healthier on a mixed diet

2 tanks 30x14x20 and 24x12x15 both planted only one scaped gourami (spotted) swordtail pineapple, endlers