Too much of a good thing? Daphnia

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Too much of a good thing? Daphnia

Unread post by deepesh »

Hi guys.

Although I don't actively culture daphnia, I do allow a small population to chug along in a bucket kept outside. Just the other day I gave Sukhdeep a few, about 10-15 daphnia. While going about it I noted that my green water had crashed/cleared overnight.

A closer look today revealed the reason for the sudden clearing - some adult daphnia and a host of babies. I just spent half an hour straining ten liters of water through a tea strainer in the dark.

I want those damnia out of the green water. Any tips? I was thinking of placing a platy in there but then I dose the green water. Is this a bright idea or a thoroughly dumb one?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Too much of a good thing? Daphnia

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

1. Why do you need the green water
2. a gourami would be ok for a day but why do you want the daphnia to go
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

I think you need something bigger than a platy that can devour all of them quickly
And probably a fish with labyrinth organ would be better if you are planning to go without aeration
Daphnia is quite sensitive to water quality so i think you can put in any fish if you can provide aeration for the bucket
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

VishaalDalal wrote:1. Why do you need the green water
2. a gourami would be ok for a day but why do you want the daphnia to go
I don't need the green water. I just like to have it around. Who knows someday I might need it. ;)

I don't want the daphnia to go. I just don't want them in the green water because they make it Clearwater with no revival. Sorry poor pun!
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Arjun Tandon wrote: Daphnia is quite sensitive to water quality so i think you can put in any fish if you can provide aeration for the bucket
I too used to think. Surprisingly, it turns out that daphnia will tolerate nitrogen and low oxygen. They tolerated living with the romifex dero worms for a long time, where even with daily water changes the water was stinky. I doubt if fish would tolerate that long term. But then I have seen guppies in sewers and in sewage treatment plants.

But they certainly don't tolerate poor water as in water with metal ions and industrial pollutants.

They have limit yes, but that's higher than what we imagine or nitrogenous waste and low oxygen and much lower than we would imagine for other pollutants.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Wow Deepesh. Didn't know that about daphnia.
Did you culture Romifex in just a small container with an inch of water or in a different way?
If they could survive Romi's process of culturing Romifex, that would be surprising for most of us
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I culture the dero using Romi's method, an inch of water at the most in a small container. Every time I opened the small boxes I expected not to see the daphnia but they were there till very long, about 2-3 weeks when I finally took pity on the poor creatures and fed them to the fish.

There is information on co culturing dero and daphnia, even videos but those cultures appear very clean. I would say too clean, for dero worms at least.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I did a google search and there are a few articles mentioning Daphnias ability to tolerate ammonium, phosphate and low oxygen. Reasonably tolerant. Not as sensitive as we think.

But very very sensitive to metal ions.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

deepesh wrote:I culture the dero using Romi's method, an inch of water at the most in a small container. Every time I opened the small boxes I expected not to see the daphnia but they were there till very long, about 2-3 weeks when I finally took pity on the poor creatures and fed them to the fish.

There is information on co culturing dero and daphnia, even videos but those cultures appear very clean. I would say too clean, for dero worms at least.
somewhere on the net it was mentioned that daphnia are the best companions to dero, providing favourable condition to each other.
Sushant
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

That's really surprising to know deepesh
Now atleast I can think of culturing daphnia.
I always wanted to culture them due to their nutritional content and laxative properties but never tried because most people say that they require high oxygen, clean water and micro-nutrients
Thanks A Ton!