stingray

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: stingray

Unread post by Romi »

I would suggest that the rays be tempted with some live food like earthworms. wash them well before adding. Add one worm per ray and see if it is gone in the mornig...
discus sing
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by discus sing »

hi guys sorry for late reply, it is 48*18*18 tank with top filter n uv filter, no gravels at all 20% water change in two days
jack

Unread post by jack »

Then i would suggest to get rid of the ray.... Or get a bigger tabk atleast 4X3 something
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
bluearatus
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bluearatus »

Hi,

Motoro sting ray, specifically avoids any food in case the parameters are not accurate. initially when i got my ray, i placed it in an empty tank, and the ray did not eat anything (specifically- food available in the market). then i shifted it into a tank with river sand substrate. the ray, after a few moves, immediately got into the sand. Good sign. For food, i caught some river snails and purchased medium sized river shrimps and prawns from the market. the ray loved it. i saw it eating the shrimps after a gap of 1 week. Initially i used to crush snails and feed it, but now, it would hunt them on its own. Most of the motoro rays, are usually not trained to feed on sinking pellets or live fish, as per my experience so it is useless to give them any initially.

Just need to wash the shrimp or prawns and drop them near the ray. the rays have mandible or jaws to break down the scale of the shrimps, or if possible simple remove the cover and only put the body of the shrimp and the ray would feed on them (start with a single or two). As per my experience, i see motoro rays much more active when left alone, or at night. Also they need supply of fresh water, so quality or good filtration is very important.

Most of the motoros collected from Indian LFS are about 4 to 5 inches in size which may again vary till 8 inch. If your ray is of the same size, yes for some time your tank size would work for some time, but gradually they will demand bigger space.