Feeding Killi fish

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Feeding Killi fish

Unread post by sumer »

I too got a wild pair of australe gold.
I am feeding them brine shrimps, bloodworms and wingless fruitflies. And they love the fruitflies the most. They start jumping when I put fruitflies in the tank. I havent tried feeding commercial food.
I think you can try feeding them fruitflies, even if they arent wingless.
They look so beautiful.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
My aquarium photography: Plays Of Rays
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

they love eating and readly accept all kind of food. though they should be fed on varied diet and a single food my be avoided.
Sushant
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

sumer wrote:I too got a wild pair of australe gold.
I am feeding them brine shrimps, bloodworms and wingless fruitflies. And they love the fruitflies the most. They start jumping when I put fruitflies in the tank. I havent tried feeding commercial food.
They look so beautiful.

666 666 666 (Sigh) I wish we had a place where we could get the fruitfly (Wingless) culture here in India.
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

VishaalDalal wrote:
They look so beautiful.

666 666 666 (Sigh) I wish we had a place where we could get the fruitfly (Wingless) culture here in India.
I think its easy to culture, i will prepare mine this sunday for sure :thumup

Thanks sumer for sharing your experience.

Ashok
Ashok
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Ashok wrote:So guys should i try "Hikari Flake Tropical" for my killies or any other good brand ?

Ashok
of course, Ashok ji. Why hesitate??
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

They look so beautiful.

Sumer, the Gold variant of aphyosemion austral is not wild. It was a mutation that happened in a hobbyist's tank who was called Hjerresen. if you have paid extra thinking it was a 'wild' strain, your seller is either not honest or adequately knowledgeable about his stock. Below is a link to the website of a senior killifish expert for you!

http://www.aka.org/sks/sks/pages/kcc_AUS.html

This page mentions Mr Hjerrsen who went on to become a breeder-seller from hobbyist. It has a big gallery of beautiful lyretails for all of us to enjoy.

http://www.aka.org/wak/Ref_Library/Aphy ... strale.htm

The habitat these fish live in, the Gold colour would be likely a massive disadvantage in camouflage. So the truly wild caught fish are brown or a similar colour, and they are very beautiful indeed, with amazing markings and lyretail. All the orange, yellow, and light-coloured fish are captive strains resulting from hobbyist breeding efforts. I have posted a picture of the magnificent natural strain (a real chocolate shade) earlier on this website. And since many NCRwallahs have this beautiful killi species now, we must all learn as much as we can about it, and try and maybe use this easy species to kick start the killifish hobby locally.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Fruit flies are easy to find in Delhi.

Just keep a ripe banana in a warm well-lit place away from sunlight, placed in a plastic box open to air.. After some time, fruit flies will appear and lay eggs on the flesh of the ripening and fragrant banana. After a while, just pick the larvae with tweezers off the banana.

I have got fruitflies off microworm culture which I feed my bettas and angelfish. I would just swipe the wall of the microworm container with a finger for them. Fruit flies breed as a continuous process all through the year except for winter time. . Badis and Dario also love it as do danios, and so do all alert fish of small size.

Wingless fruit flies are used for experiments in genetics very widely. Any researcher in biochemistry etc should be able to help those who want it. Perhaps Dhananjay Mankotia if you can persuade him and then pursue him?.... ;)
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

SCORPIO wrote:I am searching a food which takes more time in sinking.
Sera Vipagran or Sera Vipagran Baby...both sink slowly
Available in Laxmi Nagar
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sumer »

Romi wrote:
They look so beautiful.

Sumer, the Gold variant of aphyosemion austral is not wild. It was a mutation that happened in a hobbyist's tank who was called Hjerresen. if you have paid extra thinking it was a 'wild' strain, your seller is either not honest or adequately knowledgeable about his stock. Below is a link to the website of a senior killifish expert for you!

http://www.aka.org/sks/sks/pages/kcc_AUS.html

This page mentions Mr Hjerrsen who went on to become a breeder-seller from hobbyist. It has a big gallery of beautiful lyretails for all of us to enjoy.

http://www.aka.org/wak/Ref_Library/Aphy ... strale.htm

The habitat these fish live in, the Gold colour would be likely a massive disadvantage in camouflage. So the truly wild caught fish are brown or a similar colour, and they are very beautiful indeed, with amazing markings and lyretail. All the orange, yellow, and light-coloured fish are captive strains resulting from hobbyist breeding efforts. I have posted a picture of the magnificent natural strain (a real chocolate shade) earlier on this website. And since many NCRwallahs have this beautiful killi species now, we must all learn as much as we can about it, and try and maybe use this easy species to kick start the killifish hobby locally.

Hi Romi,

I did not know this. Actually a friend has given me a pair just for a few weeks. He got it off of aquabid. I am feeding them and waiting for the young male to develop the "veil tail" so that I can take a few pictures of the pair. He said they're wild so I didn't inquire much. Thanks for the info :)
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
My aquarium photography: Plays Of Rays