New environment for microfex worms

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
Vishaal
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Vishaal »

Tempratures 45+, worms outside the house, and dead cultures every day. so thought to try a new Idea, and this is the result.

Water change only every 15-20 days, a small DIY spong filter.

And this is the result.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: New environment for microfex worms

Unread post by Romi »

well done. coolbig

we forget that live food is like live fish...... It needs care sometimes that is as much as fish will demand, in this terrible Delhi summer heat.

I can no longer grow these worms like I used to, Delhi seems to have got hotter or my water has deteriorated. But I know that if I grew them like you are growing them, in an aquarium, I would definitely get results, finally.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

BTW,

I think they are not microfex worms at all. Call them Rithala Village mini tubifex or just mini tubifex. Microfex worms cannot swim upwards in the water, as per as the great live food expert, Michal Helweg (that I was gifted a book of, in an aquapetz meeting at dear Bappada's place)... Since these are great swimmers that quicky swim up down and left as well as right,,,, they are clearly a different species.
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

great, Mine is growing fine, i keep them in shade, but water change every 2 day.
vijendra_s123

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

This is the exact way their larger cousins Tubifex are cultured... In a tank with a sponge filter preferably with some kind of gravel in it...
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

yup there is gravel also.

Romi, it is because of the Swimming problem that there is the sponge pads. I found these sticking to drift and glass at the water surface, and then added these platforms for them to grow.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I thought they can also live in a running aquarium with fishes.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:I thought they can also live in a running aquarium with fishes.
yes, they can. they can be kept in an aquarium as permanent live food. but the number of fish has to be very very low. otherwise all will be eaten quickly.

they have remained alive in my tanks for months. I think they must be the only live food we have in Delhi that you can use on vacations when you are not there to feed your fish. but it will take some hardwork to establish their population.

I am looking for Hyaella azteca. they can also be used as a food that can be raised in the same aquarium as the fish... but don't know where to find them in India.

Anyone who is going to America and can bring them in hand luggage should contact me for suggestions.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:they can be kept in an aquarium as permanent live food. but the number of fish has to be very very low. otherwise all will be eaten quickly.
Yeeh. I need some of these. Never keeps a too big population of fishes in any of my tank. What they eat in the aquarium?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

They will eat left overs and fish excreta.