Look - Argulus

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Look - Argulus

Unread post by Aquachem »

I found a parasite - what looks like an Argulus, on my Redcap this morning, sucking on the poor thing's tail. I took it off. just sharing the pics. What do i do to make sure that there arent any more?

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa041
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Look - Argulus

Unread post by Romi »

good photo!

this is definately Argulus.

the only thing to do is to just take tweezers and pull it off.

when u see it... since these red caps are old, and u have had them for a while, i assume this Argulus came with a recent purchase.

i don't worry about Argulus. last time, i found one on a wild caught rosy barb that was breathing fast in stress. when i realised what was causing the fish such anxiety, i just took out my forceps and pulled it off. they are not so prolific, so i dont see a need to medicate the fish. never saw another again... if the fish was old or sick, i would have given it some desi salt treatment as a tonic... but the barb was bouncy!
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

to 'make sure there aren't any more' keep your eyes open and alert for any more. same treatment will do for each. ..
Aquachem
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Aquachem »

Thats what. There was no new purchase, and i read that it's highly unlikely that an argulus be found in hometanks. maybe it came with the water change. I will keep a look out.