dap and muriate of potash

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
vikas
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

dap and muriate of potash

Unread post by vikas »

does any one have any idea about dap and muriate of potash?? and any other organic manure..
moz lo roz lo na mile to khoz lo ---

╙°•●·|√♪ҝą૬ |°•●·╕
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: dap and muriate of potash

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

first DAP and MOP are not organic manures
I am using in my scape and i dont see a problem in the plant growth, I have used it as a base for my substrate at the bottom most layer,
experts can advice usage for dosing.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

DAP is Di Ammonium Phosphate and is available in in most seed stores
It is a chemical fertilizer for terrestrial plants
Don't know about murate of potash

Don't know if it will work for terrestrial plants
waiting for the experts to comment
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Muriate of Potash is Potassium Chloride. I would use KNO3 over KCl. If my chemistry serves me right, free chloride radicals can help precipitate heavier metals, which is something I would avoid.

DAP is a source of ammonia and phosphorus for plants. I am not sure of how it alters water chemistry.
vikas
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikas »

actually today i am searching for a good fertilizer for my new aquarium all shops have dap potash vermicompost.. and potash is water soluble so it alters the water chemistry or nor and using dap and potash any affect on fishes??

╙°•●·|√♪ҝą૬ |°•●·╕
saikumar

Unread post by saikumar »

Hi Vikas, I think its better to avoid the ammonium fertilizers, as it ll cause Ammonia poisoning.
And KCL should be OK.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... L-Vs-K2So4
point-http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.ph ... #post85574

Get some nitrate as its most required after potassium, if you feed fish you can totally skip phosphate fert.

I think experts can suggest a more suitable and easier option, lets wait.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Muriate of potash is a mineral that has been used by farmers for centuries with success, and is good because it contains more than just potash. The other impurities balance out the potash and stabilize it. This and dolomite are used for enhancing the viability of DIY substrates, especially those using mineralized compost.

I was looking for it 2 years ago, and started an email correspondence with DJ Mankotia, hoping that being a biotechnology person, he would be able to source it for me. Didn't happen.

I like how Vikas is exploring possibilities, i feel this will make him an expert faster than others who rush for tailor-made solutions every chance they get. Brands do make fishkeeping and aquascaping easier, but they reduce the richness of the learning experience aquariums offer us.

Vikas, can u post the URL i sent u by PM once ? It was about mineralized substrates. The expert was Mr Talbott.

That page illustrates the usefulness of not only Muriate of Potash but also Dolomite, another mineral-rich fertilizer that is released slowly and keeps a substrate fertile longer...
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:Muriate of potash is a mineral that has been used by farmers for centuries with success, and is good because it contains more than just potash. The other impurities balance out the potash and stabilize it. This and dolomite are used for enhancing the viability of DIY substrates, especially those using mineralized compost.

I was looking for it 2 years ago, and started an email correspondence with DJ Mankotia, hoping that being a biotechnology person, he would be able to source it for me. Didn't happen.

I like how Vikas is exploring possibilities, i feel this will make him an expert faster than others who rush for tailor-made solutions every chance they get. Brands do make fishkeeping and aquascaping easier, but they reduce the richness of the learning experience aquariums offer us.

Vikas, can u post the URL i sent u by PM once ? It was about mineralized substrates. The expert was Mr Talbott.

That page illustrates the usefulness of not only Muriate of Potash but also Dolomite, another mineral-rich fertilizer that is released slowly and keeps a substrate fertile longer...
you should have told me and taken some MOP from me I have enough
vikas
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikas »

and one more thing that potash available here is white crystalline powder and completely soluble in water.. so is there any use for using it mixing with coco peat or vermi?? or potash can only be used for dosing..

╙°•●·|√♪ҝą૬ |°•●·╕
vikas
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikas »

Romi wrote:Muriate of potash is a mineral that has been used by farmers for centuries with success, and is good because it contains more than just potash. The other impurities balance out the potash and stabilize it. This and dolomite are used for enhancing the viability of DIY substrates, especially those using mineralized compost.

yeah will post the url soon.. and yhere is wide variety of organic and non organic fertilizers are availalable... any info about oyher fertilizer will be helpfull for my substrate..

╙°•●·|√♪ҝą૬ |°•●·╕