White fungal like spots on Tiger barbs tail fin.

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: White fungal like spots on Tiger barbs tail fin.

Unread post by deepesh »

Fin rot should be treated as a disease arising from improper tank conditions so that is where I would suggest you look for.

As a doctor I would not treat it with antibiotics at the first instance unless it was a critical scenario like a species on the verge of extinction.

Tetracycline does not act natively against some psuedomonas species but otherwise is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I won't be surprised if it wipes out majority of the tank bacteria. It will stay in the tank for quite some time as it is broken down by the liver and a fish liver is very very small.

Deepesh
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

deepesh wrote:Fin rot should be treated as a disease arising from improper tank conditions so that is where I would suggest you look for.

As a doctor I would not treat it with antibiotics at the first instance unless it was a critical scenario like a species on the verge of extinction.

Tetracycline does not act natively against some psuedomonas species but otherwise is a broad spectrum antibiotic. I won't be surprised if it wipes out majority of the tank bacteria. It will stay in the tank for quite some time as it is broken down by the liver and a fish liver is very very small.

Deepesh
Very glad to have a doctor confirm the ill effects of indiscriminate drug use in aquaria. :) People often complain how expensive phrmaceuticals are. Their tendency to pop pills is so rampant, i suspect antibioitics are actually not expensive enough.. ;)
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Thanks Romi, Vishal and Scorpio. Tetracycline worked though i know will have recycle again. But barbs are now better and they were not being bullied even when affected by disease. I am changing the water now everyday. Their diet is also ok. I am having this tank from last 4 years. Earlier I had red jewels and they bred also in the tank twice. I have been using pellets and dried shrimps which i crush before giving them.

At the base i have silica crystal sand so no question of seeping down as it gets sucked by filter. I am using filter but yes fish are not able to swim comfortably against the current. I am from Chandigarh and have not been able to find plants. If someone can help me that. LFS here seldom keep any plants and i haven't seen active community here, just know 2-3 odd guys who have aquariums. I had put my introduction 2 months back on the thread.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks dr. deepesh for suggestion.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Buddy Shergill , tiger barbs love tubifex, including the dried blocks sold for around 40 bucks or so. You can also try and get some live food for them from Deepesh, i am sure he will oblige you when he has extra. If u know someone in Jullundhur, u can get a culture of grindals from Ishaan. Just pellets and dry shrimp dont sound like a very balanced diet for Tiger barbs... or any fish for that matter, no matter how long you have kept them. I remember a guy who gave me his neon tetras once because they were dying of 'unknown causes'. Later he told me he fed them goldfish pellets only!
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:Buddy Shergill , tiger barbs love tubifex, including the dried blocks sold for around 40 bucks or so. You can also try and get some live food for them from Deepesh, i am sure he will oblige you when he has extra. If u know someone in Jullundhur, u can get a culture of grindals from Ishaan. Just pellets and dry shrimp dont sound like a very balanced diet for Tiger barbs... or any fish for that matter, no matter how long you have kept them. I remember a guy who gave me his neon tetras once because they were dying of 'unknown causes'. Later he told me he fed them goldfish pellets only!

Romi & Deepesh,

Sukhdeep is the friend I was talking about at the meet, hope we get more participation from chandigarh with 2 active members now.

Also Sukhi,

there are some people from Karnal and Jullender also on the forum.
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

Romi wrote: If u know someone in Jullundhur
VishaalDalal wrote: there are some people from Karnal and Jullender also on the forum.
guyz jullundur was long ago changed into Jalandhar, i guess even before my birth :LOL
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I know a person named Sanjeev here in Chandigarh who is big time into this. He has 6x 1.5 x 2.5 ft at home which is cichlid tank. He has 10 ft with other 2 dimensions same at office and he earlier had made a pond also in his backyard which was good. Other than that there is Dr. from PGI whom I have never met but have heard he has around 14 tanks. There are lot of active members in Chandigarh but is it not orgainsed. Apart from this there is Dr. Tarun from Yamuna nagar. I was member of one Chandigarh fish community on orkut couple of years back with 33 members but no one was really active. There are 4-5 LFS in Chandigarh and i am sure there must a good no of members here too.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Other than that there is Dr. from PGI whom I have never met but have heard he has around 14 tanks.
NOT me, definitely not me. My obsessive compulsive disorder is well under control - I have two (small) tanks and four tupperware containers!

deepesh
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks guys, now tiger barbs have fully recovered and keeping a check on quality of water and think was overfeeding them earlier.

Sukhdeep