How to setup your own Worm Bin

Forum for discuss on fish/Invertebrates food.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: How to setup your own Worm Bin

Unread post by Romi »

deepesh wrote:Perionyx excavatus? Indian blue worm. Tends to run away!

yes, that was the name, :lol: Amazing how quick you are, doc.

Let us hope the guys who want to start with worms from their own yard do not end up with them.... imagine the scene..hehe. VERY touristy creatures, always ready with an itinerary.
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

I use E. Euginae
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Romi wrote:
deepesh wrote:Perionyx excavatus? Indian blue worm. Tends to run away!

yes, that was the name, :lol: Amazing how quick you are, doc.

Let us hope the guys who want to start with worms from their own yard do not end up with them.... imagine the scene..hehe. VERY touristy creatures, always ready with an itinerary.
Indeed, I saw a few photos on the net of these getting out of a bin in rainy weather.

Have been reading up! I am now interested in setting up my own worm bin. Not for the fish for mine won't be able to take larger worms. The pearl gouramis are my largest fish and they have small mouths. I was thinking of setting up a worm bin for composting vegetable scrap for the plants I have.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Romi wrote:the substrate after some time can be harvested as manure. It is excellent, u use just one handful per potted plant since its very rich. If u don't remove it periodically, the space for worms will run short. Harvest no more than half at one time. It is sold in nurseries as vermicompost, even exported abroad. Price around 50 rupees a kg.
@ Romi is Rs 50 the price of compost or worms?
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

shergill00 wrote:
Romi wrote:the substrate after some time can be harvested as manure. It is excellent, u use just one handful per potted plant since its very rich. If u don't remove it periodically, the space for worms will run short. Harvest no more than half at one time. It is sold in nurseries as vermicompost, even exported abroad. Price around 50 rupees a kg.
wait for my next visit to Baddi, also check up in the government nurseries.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

VishaalDalal wrote:
shergill00 wrote:
Romi wrote:the substrate after some time can be harvested as manure. It is excellent, u use just one handful per potted plant since its very rich. If u don't remove it periodically, the space for worms will run short. Harvest no more than half at one time. It is sold in nurseries as vermicompost, even
exported abroad. Price around 50 rupees a kg.
I was really shocked if its being sold at rs 50 per kg. Here its available at rs 10/kg in retail and if higher qty then can get at rs5/6 per kg. Govt nurseries dont sell vermicompost, there are places where I know which sell at this rate.
sam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam »

:coolph :goodpost
~Sam, East Delhi
Am just a noob
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

shergill00 wrote:
VishaalDalal wrote:
shergill00 wrote:
Romi wrote:the substrate after some time can be harvested as manure. It is excellent, u use just one handful per potted plant since its very rich. If u don't remove it periodically, the space for worms will run short. Harvest no more than half at one time. It is sold in nurseries as vermicompost, even
exported abroad. Price around 50 rupees a kg.
I was really shocked if its being sold at rs 50 per kg. Here its available at rs 10/kg in retail and if higher qty then can get at rs5/6 per kg. Govt nurseries dont sell vermicompost, there are places where I know which sell at this rate.
sorry did not read the full thread thought we were talking about the worms.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@shergill, Vishaal, Deepesh

I wish it was 50 rupees! ha ha. The compost was being sold for around 35 bucks a packet, which was around 1.5 kg i think, at one time. In 2008 i got half a kg of Eisenia fetida for Rs 500, most of which was not worms but compost. I think around 150 worms, mostly small. The seller was Arushi Honey owner, and reaching him in Jamia Nagar was an ordeal. Another 'kacchi colony'... :( By then i had researched for months online, and spoken to a guy in Assam who offered me the same for a cool Rs 2000. Bugger thought that was 'reasonable'... So when i found them, i knew I had had enough. This guy's address is easily googled, but luckily, after Syed Ali agreed to help, and gave worms to Vijendra on my urging, we have had a good culture going without going back to Mr Jamia Nagar, who I understand, talks a great deal and insists on talking your ear off on the phone and in person before he suspiciously agrees to sell worms instead of the compost. Maybe a fear of competing vermicompost-makers? ha ha.

Later i forced another friend, a rather enterprising Sardar, Harmeet Singh, of Rajinder Nagar to talk to his acquaintance in IARI, at PUSA. That govt agency is supposed to sell worms to common people for Rs 1 a worm but they are govt employess and offer excuses instead of worms mostly. But Harmeet is one helluva sticky customer, and managed to get me a few again. This was before Syed Ali's pitching in.

Poor me got another rat raid (*wish i could find a tight lid for my plastic tub!), so Vijjy must take charge as THE compost worm person for Delhi/NCR.. He had better! Grr... For a long time his Papa Apistogramma cacatoides liked nothing better. And what babies he made..

Deepesh, you should do that ASAP! The manure it makes is rich. You need just a handful for a potted plant. And it is very eco-friendly, allows you to earn good Karma too, my friend. Life and Death are like light and shade, let what dies give what lives more life..

Even your discarded kitchen waste can do that. Not just fish, but potted plants.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Romi wrote:@shergill, Vishaal, Deepesh

I wish it was 50 rupees! ha ha. The compost was being sold for around 35 bucks a packet, which was around 1.5 kg i think, at one time. In 2008 i got half a kg of Eisenia fetida for Rs 500, most of which was not worms but compost. I think around 150 worms, mostly small. The seller was Arushi Honey owner, and reaching him in Jamia Nagar was an ordeal. Another 'kacchi colony'... :( By then i had researched for months online, and spoken to a guy in Assam who offered me the same for a cool Rs 2000. Bugger thought that was 'reasonable'... So when i found them, i knew I had had enough. This guy's address is easily googled, but luckily, after Syed Ali agreed to help, and gave worms to Vijendra on my urging, we have had a good culture going without going back to Mr Jamia Nagar, who I understand, talks a great deal and insists on talking your ear off on the phone and in person before he suspiciously agrees to sell worms instead of the compost. Maybe a fear of competing vermicompost-makers? ha ha.

Later i forced another friend, a rather enterprising Sardar, Harmeet Singh, of Rajinder Nagar to talk to his acquaintance in IARI, at PUSA. That govt agency is supposed to sell worms to common people for Rs 1 a worm but they are govt employess and offer excuses instead of worms mostly. But Harmeet is one helluva sticky customer, and managed to get me a few again. This was before Syed Ali's pitching in.

Poor me got another rat raid (*wish i could find a tight lid for my plastic tub!), so Vijjy must take charge as THE compost worm person for Delhi/NCR.. He had better! Grr... For a long time his Papa Apistogramma cacatoides liked nothing better. And what babies he made..

Deepesh, you should do that ASAP! The manure it makes is rich. You need just a handful for a potted plant. And it is very eco-friendly, allows you to earn good Karma too, my friend. Life and Death are like light and shade, let what dies give what lives more life..

Even your discarded kitchen waste can do that. Not just fish, but potted plants.
Next time you want to get some worms, contact vishal i am sure he can find from some old contacts at Haryana Agricultural University or local Krishi Vigyaan kendra to arrange some.