guppy fins tearing

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

guppy fins tearing

Unread post by shergill00 »

I have 2 guppies which i received recently. Something seems to be wrong with their tail fins looks like they weathered and rough and torn. Till yesterday they were fine but today evening i looked at them fins of both the 2 guppies seemed to be like this. I haven't seen any aggressive behavior of males towards each other they have been doing peacefully with each other. Picture attached.

To me it seems like something wrong but it doesn't look like fin rot at all. I have changed water every 3 days and tank is 42x12x18. Tank mates are 2 widow tetras, some bumble bee gobies. 2 transparent coloured shrimps.

what is the problem, need guidance. Or is it normal which to me seems unlikely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sam
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: guppy fins tearing

Unread post by sam »

Seems that other fish had its tail.
Are you from delhi??
~Sam, East Delhi
Am just a noob
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Guppies can damage each other's tails. Males can be surprizingly brutal to perceived rivals, so observer carefully and isolate an aggressive stud :)
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

The widow tetras!

I agree guppies can be as aggressive as swordtails but I find those neat semilunar cuts pointing straight at a tetra!
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:Guppies can damage each other's tails. Males can be surprizingly brutal to perceived rivals, so observer carefully and isolate an aggressive stud :)
:1

Is there any female guppy to chase?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

deepesh wrote:The widow tetras!

I agree guppies can be as aggressive as swordtails but I find those neat semilunar cuts pointing straight at a tetra!
I don't think Widow tetras do that, I would say its the bumblee bees, they are known to be nasty fin nippers.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Ok! Didn't think that!
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

sam wrote:Seems that other fish had its tail.
Are you from delhi??
Sam i am from Chandigarh
SCORPIO wrote:
Romi wrote:Guppies can damage each other's tails. Males can be surprizingly brutal to perceived rivals, so observer carefully and isolate an aggressive stud :)
:1

Is there any female guppy to chase?
Yes Rajeev, got one yesterday night but this condition was prior to adding that female.

Romi So i think chances of males fighting in less likely. Haven't seen any aggression among 2 males since i had introduced them.

Sushant i havent seen bumble bees going to the top, they keep on lying on substrate whereas guppies keep right at the top at water level and haven't seen bumble bees going towards the top. Maybe i need to set a camera on tank to find out the culprit.

Also widow tetras have been keeping timid and shying away all the time. They go to other direction where i stand. Earlier had tiger barbs and mollies with them and they wouldn't shy like this. So do i shift them with mollies. Have 2 of them.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

sushant wrote:
deepesh wrote:The widow tetras!

I don't think Widow tetras do that, I would say its the bumblee bees, they are known to be nasty fin nippers.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant, Widow Tetras are indeed fin nippers, but they are not as bad as say, Serpae Tetras or Tiger Barbs. But sometimes, they can be as bad as any species.

You might be right about the Bumblebees.... A fish that hugs the bottom, contrary to what Shergill thinks now, can be eating fins to supplement their diet. After all they are a 'live food' loving species. And we know that Shergill hasn't got his live food sorted out yet. .. can't blame the bees for trying to still get bits of it when they can :) There is a species of Piranha that is able to survive solely on nipping fins in the wild Amazon. This proves fins are a source of adequate protein even if they look dead to us.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

:( I lost one guppy, so i am going to give away those widow tetras and shift bumble bees to another tank. So this would all guppies tank. You never know what goes with what. And sometime these kind of unexpected things happen. I had even saw female guppy chasing away the male one. it was other way round.