Live Rock alternatives..

Discuss everything related to Live Rock, Live Sand, Aragonite and other substrates used in marine aquariums.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Live Rock alternatives..

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Again planning for a 3 footer reef tank. This time I dont want to use Live rock or natural rock, I need alternatives of Live Rock. Can I use Sensibar rocks in place of Live Rock? Need suggestions.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vasishta.sushant
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Live Rock alternatives..

Unread post by vasishta.sushant »

Little off topic. I showed you one rock that I bought from a LFS. If you want, you can take that. I am not using it. (though still not sure what rock is that)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
30x18x18 Tank | ADA Amazonia | EHEIM Classic 2217 | Finnex RAY2 LED | EHEIM Jager | Pressurized CO2

Learning to sustain...
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

I remember jack make is own rock using rock salt and some white cement mixture. He should help more.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

saikumar wrote:I remember jack make is own rock using rock salt and some white cement mixture. He should help more.
Ahhha. Remembered.

Just want to know his review.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by gauravgupta »

You may go for Fiber Rocks. It looks very much original but bit costly.
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Live Rocks form a major part of filtration system in reef aquaria , fibre rocks on other hand will serve only asthetics purposes and cannot be a replacement for LR.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
Sushant
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

i think you can use sansibar rocks. I remember Neeraj had one marine tank running with it. It seems to be porous as well.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

aquascapist wrote:i think you can use sansibar rocks. I remember Neeraj had one marine tank running with it. It seems to be porous as well.
I used those in earlier. They not looks good.

jack

Unread post by jack »

hello all.... i have used DIY Rocks and i was / am pretty happy with the rocks ... you can get the shape you like and desired aquascape....
the cons of this kind of rocks are 1) they are heavy 2) requires loooooong curing time, mine took around 4-5 months to cure.. may be more dont remember it now..

currently i am using Fiber rocks and i am very happy with the same got the required structure that i planned and are light weight...

Bacterial growth is not much in the fiber rocks but i dont mind as i used all the old fiji LR from the old tank in the sump as filteration.. and all DIY rocks donated to LFS and he is currently using it in his display tank ..

regarding sansibar rocks they are OK to use it and are quite porus...

but i would say if this is a life time and reef setup either get cured natural LR or go with fiber rocks and seed the sump with LR from hobbyist tank..

if you need recipe of the DIY rock you can go through my old posts in my thread .. or buzz me up anytime :) hope this helps..
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D