Dutch scape - Update 12/Nov

Post your tank progress here from day 1.
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Dutch scape - Update 12/Nov

Unread post by hamza »

Hi,

My first thread here..

I have finally opted for a Dutch scape this time when everyone is going mad about NA scapes!! Well, ofcourse yes. Its hard to come by any decent Dutch/Dutch-inspired scape these days. And I have been longing to see some fresh dutch scapes, I couldnt wait anymore and started my own.

In contrary to what most people believe, i.e., dutch being basic planted tank, less challenging and so on.... Well, this is how I see it. A tank with majority of stem plants and no/little hardscape to support the design or even to cover up any ugly lower ends of most plants. And also all plants dont grow at same pace, so the timing and the level of trimming required for each plant varies greatly and for a dutch tank to look good at one point of time you need to synchronize the growth of all the plants. Not to forget the diligent dosing regime, pair of scissors and forceps. So to sum it up, it takes up some good amount of skill, time and dedication throughout the cycle of a scape. Lets see how I fare through this challenge......wish me luck ;)

A simple mix of soils, sand, clay and peat made up the nutrient rich base, topped by coarse sand(3-5mm grain size).

Pardon me for shabby tank glass, it was lying dry for long with some tough hardwater stains and I was lazy and reluctant to clean it dry.

The plants that went into it. Rotalas(sp. green, rotundifolia, indica, sp. butterfly, nanjenshan), HM, lileopsis brasilensis, glosso, hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, ludwigia(repens and glandulosa), staurogyne(repens and portovelho)

Filling and planting simultaneously

With planting completed and water filled. Sunday, Nov-04/2012

Next day, when water settled, glass cleaned. Monday, Nov-05/2012

Let me know your views on it...
Hamza
Last edited by hamza on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dutch scape

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Perfect one scape. Dutch style and one of my favorite are together. Result will be sure amazing.

Most of your plants are fast grower except Lileopsis brasilensis. I afraid that algae will cover the leaves of this foreground plant.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
ianholdich
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ianholdich »

this is gonna be great when it get older. Well done!
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

ianholdich wrote:this is gonna be great when it get older. Well done!
:1 , would love to see the gradual development of the tank till its completion, please keep us informed
Sushant
severumkid
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by severumkid »

the red is bang in the center? I would split the redness in 2 or 3 zones. Rest must be good, when you are doing it. Best of luck, as you demanded :)
senthil
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by senthil »

Sure to be a stunner in few months....
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

SCORPIO wrote:Perfect one scape. Dutch style and one of my favorite are together. Result will be sure amazing.

Most of your plants are fast grower except Lileopsis brasilensis. I afraid that algae will cover the leaves of this foreground plant.
Thank you very much!
Lileopsis is a steady grower as well. The patch is looking too bright at the moment but it will be shadowed by the stem plants behind it, making it a perfect growing spot for lileopsis.
sushant wrote:
ianholdich wrote:this is gonna be great when it get older. Well done!
:1 , would love to see the gradual development of the tank till its completion, please keep us informed
senthil wrote:Sure to be a stunner in few months....
Eagerly anticipating that :) thanks a lot!
severumkid wrote:the red is bang in the center? I would split the redness in 2 or 3 zones. Rest must be good, when you are doing it. Best of luck, as you demanded :)
Patience my friend, there are quite a lot of red plants in there, not showing up ATM as they are transforming to submerged state. I am afraid that the plant I got as rotala sp. green might as well turn out to be rotala rotundifolia. Fingers crossed...
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

What about tank specification?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

:coolph :clp
jack

Unread post by jack »

lovely :)
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D