CREE LED 3' DIY setup

Post the details about DIY Projects.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

CREE LED 3' DIY setup

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Ok...so here's the take. Have decided to shift from T5 to LED for my planted tank. This is my second major project for the planted tank , the first one being the Burkert solenoid+Swagelok fittings CO2 setup which I posted separately only on Aquapetz.

Hence one more Aquapetz exclusive for my hobbyist friends - a 3' CREE 14 LED setup for my 60 gallon planted tank. Unlike the CO2 setup, this time I am going the journal route. So I will share the developments of each stage from procurement to testing to installation. This is going to be one long journal and post....so bear with me.

Suggestions , technical data and importantly a spare PAR meter are most welcome. :D

For the benefit of the newbies and the uninitiated , wherever possible , I will mention the easiest way to procure the stuff , alternate products if available and fabrication ideas to keep the cost low.

My next post will be on the basics of LED lighting, the concept of lumens per watt , PAR reading for deep tanks and lighting for freshwater versus saltwater tanks. I am not an expert , I have simply done detailed reading and reached some understanding which I want to share. So if I am wrong , don't kill me , correct me :lol:
jack

Re: CREE LED 3' DIY setup

Unread post by jack »

excellent effort. this will help hobbyist a lot. cheers :) :goodpost
apuda2010 wrote:So if I am wrong , don't kill me , correct me :lol:
:LOL :roll :dua :LOL
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
fishy.man
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by fishy.man »

I was thinking to post pics of my LED for my planted tank. I bought 50 watts EPI STAR led assy.
EPI STAR has a lower lumen value as compared to osram but the price difference was too much. A 20 watts let set by osram was costing me around Rs 7000 and I bought EPI star for inr 2700.for the higher lumen value i increased the wattage.and 50 watts is doing a good job in my 50x40x40 (cms) tank.
I also checked some 70 watt LED, pretty decent, may be i put them on my 6 footer.
The best part about led-
1. No heat at all, so my rooms is much better now :thnk to led
2.lesser electricity bills
3.spectral distribution of led is much better than any phosphorus tubes available.

regards

fishyman
Capt Tarun Jawa
Sr. commander A320, ATR42/72
Air India Ltd
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I am very new to LED...will follow the thread, well done, keep it coming...
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

Thanks a lot, will be awaiting very eagerly :dance ...

would love if you can just make a table of comparison with below headings, so that beginners can choose their choice just like that

Equipement***MAKE***initial Cost *** Replacement cost *** Cost per five years(including the cooler if any)
LED | | | |
T5 | | | |
PLL | | | |
MH | | | |

Ofcourse you can include more columns like PAR,LUMENS, efficiency though it will be more scientific for people alike. :)
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

marsaiko wrote:Thanks a lot, will be awaiting very eagerly :dance ...

would love if you can just make a table of comparison with below headings, so that beginners can choose their choice just like that

Equipement***MAKE***initial Cost *** Replacement cost *** Cost per five years(including the cooler if any)
LED | | | |
T5 | | | |
PLL | | | |
MH | | | |

Ofcourse you can include more columns like PAR,LUMENS, efficiency though it will be more scientific for people alike. :)
I would like to have the Lumens, Kelvin and other parameters of each type of LED.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

I would love to know LED with all those ratings.

The one available here in bhagirath place, they have no clue as they are all bulk packed
anuragsonik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by anuragsonik »

marsaiko wrote:Thanks a lot, will be awaiting very eagerly :dance ...

LED | | | |
T5 | | | |
PLL | | | |
MH | | | |

:1
aamir
Experts
Experts

Unread post by aamir »

Any update Apuda :clap subscribed this topic. :dance
Fb....(aamir.khan.180072@facebook.com)
New number 9560682201
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

@Amir....my mom has suddenly been hospitalised...so am out of action for some time.All items for the build are almost procured. You will hear from me soon after I get some time to photograph and catalog all the build items.