Twinstar Algae Inhibitor

Forum for discuss on algae.
sushant

Re: Twinstar Algae Inhibitor

Unread post by sushant »

But the question is:
1) does this thing actually work?

Can see some micro bubbles please post a video if you can.
Sushant
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

I dont know if it really wroks. I have now put it in my main tank near filter outlet so the bubbles are not visible.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
bhim
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bhim »

Amit naik it's a good diy, but replace aluminum mesh with Stainless steel(304) or higher grade since in this process aluminum mesh will be oxidised and I have heard that aluminium oxide is dangerous to fish and also it wear quickly, Sorry if there is any wrong information as I am not an expert in this
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

aawnaik wrote:here is the process I followed -

1. Teflon Tape Winder -

The wheel on which the tape is wound was cut to make 2 plastic disks. The inside diameter of the 2 disks was increased by cutting it with scissor.

2. Aluminum wire mesh was cut in round shape to match the size of the 2 disks (2 pieces of alumimum wire mesh disk) connected the electrical wire with the help of soldering rold. Two ends of wire to 2 pieces of wiremesh.

3. Now the challegne was to avoid the contact between the 2 wire mesh disks, so found out as old tennis racket (plastic) of my kids and cut the inside plastic squares so as to wor as a seperator beteen the 2 wire mesh disks.

4. The outer ring of the Teflon Tape Plastic was used to fix the parts as under -

a. made a whole in the out ring to insert the electric wire
b. bottom layer plastic disc
c. on top of it wiremesh disk
d. plastic squares cut from the racket on top of wire mesh
e. 2nd piece of wire mesh
f. covered it with the 2nd plastic disk
g. made another whole in the outer ring to fix sucker
h. connected the wires to 12 volt mobile charger

Thats all. It took about an hour to do all this and the cost is about RS. 150 (120 for charger & 30 for wire mesh).

Lets see the results. The equipment is costing 5500 on one of the onlie sites in India.
:thumup :thumup

great explanation sir!! now everyone can do this simple thing... :clp :clp :clp
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Solcielo lawrencia »

Do not run the device 24/7. The supersaturation of oxygen will result in hyperoxia, and kill all your fish and shrimp. Oxygen is far more toxic than CO2 in water. The concentration that animals start to die is ~20ppm.
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Lovely work.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

Thanks, infact that was the question I wanted to ask, if I should keep it on all the time. Will connect it to the timer now.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Solcielo lawrencia wrote:Do not run the device 24/7. The supersaturation of oxygen will result in hyperoxia, and kill all your fish and shrimp. Oxygen is far more toxic than CO2 in water. The concentration that animals start to die is ~20ppm.
How much time should it run? What about only to run in night? Plants and fishes/invertebrates both produce oxygen in night.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Solcielo lawrencia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Solcielo lawrencia »

SCORPIO wrote:
Solcielo lawrencia wrote:Do not run the device 24/7. The supersaturation of oxygen will result in hyperoxia, and kill all your fish and shrimp. Oxygen is far more toxic than CO2 in water. The concentration that animals start to die is ~20ppm.
How much time should it run? What about only to run in night? Plants and fishes/invertebrates both produce oxygen in night.
How much time depends on how much O2 it produces and how much O2 is depleted by plant, animal, microbial use, and outgassing. There is no way to offer a suggestion without knowing this information. But to err on the safe side, maybe 5-10 minutes once per hour.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Solcielo lawrencia wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:
How much time depends on how much O2 it produces and how much O2 is depleted by plant, animal, microbial use, and outgassing. There is no way to offer a suggestion without knowing this information. But to err on the safe side, maybe 5-10 minutes once per hour.
Means I have tu run with a timer.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda