Internal Filter Capacity Calculations

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
kverma2014
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Internal Filter Capacity Calculations

Unread post by kverma2014 »

Hi All

Looking for some basic idea on what should be the internal filter output flow ( in litre/Hr) with respect to Aquarium Size.
A low capacity filter in big size aquarium will lead to dirty water and High capacity filter in small aquarium will stress out fish

I am looking for some proportionality formula so that I can purchase filter just by knowing what my aquarium size in gallon is

Thanks
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Internal Filter Capacity Calculations

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

Since internal filter ratings vs Actual performance varies so much you really cannot have a 1 is to 1 comparison. For e.g. Sobo Internala filter rated at 600l/H will be less flow output as compared to Atman filter 600l/H although both are 600l/H as the quality standards vary a lot in chinese products. Rather they may not have any quality standards that they follow at all in some brands, So if you have shortlisted a few brands and give details of your tank, can help you make a better choice.

Warm Regards,
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

nash81 wrote:Hi,

Since internal filter ratings vs Actual performance varies so much you really cannot have a 1 is to 1 comparison. For e.g. Sobo Internala filter rated at 600l/H will be less flow output as compared to Atman filter 600l/H although both are 600l/H as the quality standards vary a lot in chinese products. Rather they may not have any quality standards that they follow at all in some brands, So if you have shortlisted a few brands and give details of your tank, can help you make a better choice.

Warm Regards,
:1 . it also depends on the type of fish you want to keep(few of them require calm water while some prefer fast moving currents)
Sushant
kverma2014
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by kverma2014 »

Warm Regards,
I am planning to buy for my 45 Gallon aquarium, earlier i was using tropi 386( output i think is 600-800 ltr/ hr)
Planning to buy a good yet cost effectve brand.(Once i purchased bodygaurd filter, its motor got exploded and killed my angels)

Aquarium houses barbs and tetras as of know
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

kverma2014 wrote:

Warm Regards,
I am planning to buy for my 45 Gallon aquarium, earlier i was using tropi 386( output i think is 600-800 ltr/ hr)
Planning to buy a good yet cost effectve brand.(Once i purchased bodygaurd filter, its motor got exploded and killed my angels)

Aquarium houses barbs and tetras as of know
I would go for Eheim internal ones. Last for years and excellent flow rate.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !