Water flow rate

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Water flow rate

Unread post by shergill00 »

I am having 2 feet tank and using power filter to which i have attached DIY spraybar around 12 inch in length. Flow of pump mentioned on it is 850lts/hours. I feel the flow rate is less as at the bottom of tank i can see where i have placed rocks debris tend to stay there. how can i increase the circulation rate of the water without flow impacting the plants.

Don't want plants to get uprooted. Is the current sytem ok or do i need to buy something else for it?
sushant

Re: Water flow rate

Unread post by sushant »

Filtration is not an alternate to maintenance. Gravel should be vaccumed at regular interval, failing to do so may result in serious problems with the tank.
Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

filter rate what mentioned is without filter media...so rate is definitely less than mentioned there. correct me if I am wrong
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Sushant and Partho :1

A simple way of increasing the circulation of water (if u are doing it for a reason other than keeping the debris stirred up and more easily sucked in by the intake of the filter), is to simply buy additional powerheads and place them where you feel better flow is needed. You could also have a longer spray bar i think. But that would need some major tweaking, you might need smaller holes near the closer end of the bar and bigger ones at the distant end, to ensure the water gushing out from each hole is of comparable volume. Or fewer holes at the start and more at the end. That will be a major DIY feat, though. A lot of trial and error.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

In addition to the above you could try adjusting the spray bar to direct its flow down towards the substrate. When I had an internal filter (yeah I've used them) I had turned one upside down to provide flow along the substrate.

Even so one must remember that rocks and other obstructions provide areas of low flow where debris and often fish gather. It comes as part of the package deal and as long as you siphon off the debris it's ok. The photographs of crystal clear tanks are not always representative of reality as a whole.

As an aside I have always had trouble with siphoning plant debris. The thin dead stems always seem to get stuck crossways in the siphon and the wet hand is the best way to get these out. :)
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.