Order of Filting Material

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Order of Filting Material

Unread post by npatel »

Hi Friends,

I have bought a new SunSun external filter HW 302 yesterday. It has three layers. I already had filtering materials of ceramic rings, bio balls and active carbon. I was confused about what should be used first to filter the water? Does the order of filtering materials matters?

Thanks!
Nitin Patel
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Order of Filting Material

Unread post by apuda2010 »

In a canister filter, the water moves from bottom upwards during the process of filtration. Hence, put the bio balls at the bottom, the ceramic rings in the middle layer and the activated carbon at the top.

The ordering of filteration material does matter. You want the largest surface area for bacteria at the bottom with the maximum time with the water, and polishing pads/activated carbon etc at the top where they are easier to replace and do not constrict the flow of water.
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by npatel »

thanks for the information. Currently I have put bio balls at the bottom, carbon on top of it and then finally ceramic rings at the top most position. Surely I will re-order my materials.

On the water flowing from bottom to top, I think the intake water passes from top to bottom and then from bottom to the outlet pipe. I was not aware of the reverse flow of water.

Also any idea how frequently I should clean the canister filter? I have 120X50X40 cm planted tank.

Thanks!
Nitin Patel
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

npatel wrote:Also any idea how frequently I should clean the canister filter? I have 120X50X40 cm planted tank.
You can clean your tank after every 2-3 months.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by npatel »

thanks!
Nitin Patel
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

But remember never to wash the filter media hard, like say with detergents. Leave them aside, clean the compartments and any dirt etc and pop everything back right in.
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by npatel »

ok, sure. Thanks!
Nitin Patel
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by juanico »

if your water flow is ok, then you do not have to clean your filter media...never.
if you clean it, you only clean it from beneficial bacteria...you do not want to do that.