Automatic Water Change

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Automatic Water Change

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Dont get me wrong.I have 6 timers in my setup.

The point is that we are dealing with water here. Water is the source of nutrients for both fish and plants. Both are dependent on us to maintain the correct chemistry of their environment. I think that a water change is not an isolated activity. I change water, clean the tank, trim the plants and vaccum the gravel. I treat hair and other stubborn algae with glut etc etc.All this takes atleast 3 hours on a Saturday.

I guess there is no right or wrong way here.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

Here are some examples of most common water changers i have done.

1) The basic one- Extremely simple and parts easily available at major hardware stores.

This involves having to do some bit of plumbing. Which will be required in any autowater changer, cause you need to drain the tank water somewhere and you need to get clean water in from somewhere. I am sure all of us have seen how a home flush works, Will a ball bulb and a manual water stop gate valve.

So all i would so is drill the bottom of the tank at the time of construction and attach a pvc bulkhead with a ball valve. Use a netting to cover the bulkhead or cut a round acrylic and drill some holes in it. Then pipe the ball valve to a drain area. So Simply open the valve and the water will drain out. Quiet straight forward.

now comes the inlet, So i will drill another hole to the level of water the tank has to fill up on one of the sides. The hole is drilled to the size of the Plastic water stop gate valve as used in a flush, Available at all hardware stores. The water intake is then connected to a water inlet source which will have a ball valve or tap too.

So once you finish draining all the water you wanted, Close the drain valve and Open the water inlet. Remeber not to keep the inlet always open, else you will drain water and keep adding water and keep draining the new water as well. So remember to close the drain valve first and then open the inlet.

Thats the most basic water changer one can make in less than 500 bucks. The same method minus the drain hole to remove the water out of the tank can be used for topup system as well. Water will evaporate, the float of the inlet will go down and new water will come in. In this case keep the inlet valve always open.

The fully automated one is the tricky one, which will involve the use of float and negate float valves, pumps, etc.

Will put that post separately, once i finish typing it, its a long one.

By the way folks the above information is for your DIY purpose and has no business intended, all u know next is someone is pulling me up for that, stating i have business intentions!

: ) :) :) :) ... just kidding...

Regards
Nirav.
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

super! :thumup please do include the pictures if possible. :coolph I am especially looking how we should rig up the float valves and where we can get these, 500 is affordable.
Planing bucket as reservoir and a cooler pump to pump & drain water. will await any critiques
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!