Lighting for HC Cuba

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Lighting for HC Cuba

Unread post by cichlids »

Hi All,
Tank size : 16*9*10 l*b*h - inches
Substrate : ADA Amazonia
Plants : HC and P.helferi
Lighting : 36W Pll
Co2 : Pressurized Co2
Ferts : DIY ferts and Seachem Excel

For the above mentioned size nano tank, in order to grow HC is 36W pll sufficient or is it an over kill?
I have tried n number of times to grow HC, but was not successful even once. :cnf . I've tried with emersed HC but was not successful even once.
Is there any trick/method where in emersed HC can be successfully grown submerged.
Experts please help me!!
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lighting for HC Cuba

Unread post by SCORPIO »

36 watt PLL will not over kill for the tank. Small tanks more light in comparison of bigger tanks. I am using PLLs in three tanks but not satisfied with their output. T5s are best.

For emersed growth, you need to maintain the proper humidity and temperature. I have grown HC in emersed form without any problem.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

SCORPIO wrote:36 watt PLL will not over kill for the tank. Small tanks more light in comparison of bigger tanks. I am using PLLs in three tanks but not satisfied with their output. T5s are best.

For emersed growth, you need to maintain the proper humidity and temperature. I have grown HC in emersed form without any problem.
I have a ready 36W pll. Do we get T5s for such a small tank?
Here we get HC mat in emersed form. But not even once I've succeeded in converting them to submerged form.
Once the tank is flooded, a few days later HC starts decaying :(
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

36w is ample of light for this tank. But instead of one 36w pll I would suggest 2x18wplls for even distribution of light.
Also maintain stable amounts of co2(very high co2 in first 2 weeks then gradualy reduce it when you intend to add fishes) and good flow of water in tank with a proper dosing regime, these are more of a priority than lights when it comes to growing HC.
And avoid any fish/inverts that might disturb HC to settle in initially. Once it forms a carpet you can add any bottom dweller.
Check my new tank, I am maintaining a decent carpet of hc under fairly low lights.

RAjiv bhai, I have been using PLLs for quite a long time and I find them no different that a t5. Its technically a bent up high output t5.
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

hamza wrote:36w is ample of light for this tank. But instead of one 36w pll I would suggest 2x18wplls for even distribution of light.
Also maintain stable amounts of co2(very high co2 in first 2 weeks then gradualy reduce it when you intend to add fishes) and good flow of water in tank with a proper dosing regime, these are more of a priority than lights when it comes to growing HC.
And avoid any fish/inverts that might disturb HC to settle in initially. Once it forms a carpet you can add any bottom dweller.
Check my new tank, I am maintaining a decent carpet of hc under fairly low lights.

RAjiv bhai, I have been using PLLs for quite a long time and I find them no different that a t5. Its technically a bent up high output t5.
The width of the tank is 9 inches, so I guess distribution of light happens evenly. Thanks for the suggestion Hamza. I'll start the tank in a couple of days time, will
post a pic too. If light distribution is not even then will definitely upgrade to 2X18 W pll.
Regarding Co2, Initially 2bps (for first two weeks) and then later on reducing it to 1 bps is what I've planned this time.
I'll not add any fishes/inverts till HC settles properly.
I just loved your new tank. Awesome HC carpet. Did you use emersed HC or submerged HC initially?
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

Oh I forgot your tank is just about the length of a 36 PLL, then it should be fine...no need for 2x18s.
My hc was emersed grown, but I started a submerged tank from day 1. Use a co2 indicator solution for keeping co2 in check. For blue 4kdh solution the indicator should show lime green.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I too was under the impression that t5 pll and cfl were similar in light output per unit length. Are they or not?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

hamza wrote:Oh I forgot your tank is just about the length of a 36 PLL, then it should be fine...no need for 2x18s.
My hc was emersed grown, but I started a submerged tank from day 1. Use a co2 indicator solution for keeping co2 in check. For blue 4kdh solution the indicator should show lime green.
Yes Hamza.. The pll lights are almost the same length of the tank.
Thanks for the suggestions.. This time it should wokl for me grrr
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Can you take a few pics for us, Cichlids Bhai. This should be an interesting thread you have here. HC is a lovely plant, and so many of us aspire for a carpet too...
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Romi wrote:Can you take a few pics for us, Cichlids Bhai. This should be an interesting thread you have here. HC is a lovely plant, and so many of us aspire for a carpet too...
Definitely Romi Bhai.. Planning to start the tank in a day or two depending upon the availability of HC..