How to Measure CO2 in Planted Aquarium

Post your quires on Carbon Dioxide and alternative products.
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

How to Measure CO2 in Planted Aquarium

Unread post by aawnaik »

My planted aquarium has a PH of 5.3 to 5.4 when the lights are off and between 4.9 to 5.1 when the CO2 & Lights are on during the day for abt 9 hours. These are measured with pocket PH Meter. I have following questions -

1. Are the above mentioned PH levels OK for a Planted Tank.
2. What should be the ideal PH during Lights On and Off periods
3. If PH is to be Increased or Decreased, what are Do it Yourself Options
4. How to measure CO2 level in ppm in the tank. Can it be done with PH meter.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: How to Measure CO2 in Planted Aquarium

Unread post by apuda2010 »

1. No, the pH is low. If the tank has fish , you are heading for disaster. I have a feeling that your pocket pH meter is giving incorrect readings to begin with.
2. There is nothing called ideal pH. Water has a pH of 7.0. Some fish like acidic water, some like alkaline. Similarly for plants. So your `ideal' pH is determined by what flora and fauna you plan to keep in the tank.
3. Push more CO2 , the pH reduces. Add calcium carbonate, magnesium salts , the pH increases.
4. Use something called a drop checker. Google for it , there is a ton of information available on this simple contraption.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by juanico »

aawnaik wrote: 4. How to measure CO2 level in ppm in the tank. Can it be done with PH meter.
yes it is possible, but you have to know your kH.
with you kH and pH you can determine your CO2.

there are tables for that: http://www.littlegreencorner.com/tipsdropchecker.html
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

apuda2010 wrote:1. No, the pH is low. If the tank has fish , you are heading for disaster. I have a feeling that your pocket pH meter is giving incorrect readings to begin with.
2. There is nothing called ideal pH. Water has a pH of 7.0. Some fish like acidic water, some like alkaline. Similarly for plants. So your `ideal' pH is determined by what flora and fauna you plan to keep in the tank.
3. Push more CO2 , the pH reduces. Add calcium carbonate, magnesium salts , the pH increases.
4. Use something called a drop checker. Google for it , there is a ton of information available on this simple contraption.
:1
Sushant
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

Go for Drop checker , it will help you

cheers
Rajeev