help needed with glut dosing

Post your quires on Carbon Dioxide and alternative products.
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

help needed with glut dosing

Unread post by earnest »

Hi All
I have only recently ventured into planted aquarium setups and have been avidly reading up everything to increase my knowledge base. I started out with my first attempt in November last year. I intended to take one step at a time and started with a low tech setup, without co2. Since it was winters the plants did well. But with the advent of summer and lack of co2 and chiller, the plants started dying out. Poor power supply, lack of funds, time and lack of locally available supplies is a major deterrent here. But when do hobbyists stop. So with the weather being favorable, I have started out again with locally available amazons and wht was left of the original plants i began with.
To cut the long story short, I want to start using glut. But I could get only 2% glut sol. after months of hankering my pharm. contact. Now how do I dose it. I am zilch at math. so someone please help!
Details of the tank as under:
tank size 43" x 10" x 14"
substrate : DIY
fauna: redeye tetras, neon tetras, platys
water body comes to approx 63 litres..

I'm trying to upload pix of the tank.I do a light cycle of 10 hrs at 3wpg.
please advise..
I would also take this opportunity to thank each of you who have shared your valuable insight into this hobby and helped me learn a lot. I have been reading every single informative post/ thread ever since i joined. This is what has given me the confidence to seek your advice.
Rajiv ji's post on glut is wht inspired me.. but help needed on math.. 2% sol .. should i use it undiluted then?
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: help needed with glut dosing

Unread post by earnest »

this is the pic of the tank.. not much to look at.. but i want to stop the plants from browning out and growing slowly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You have no need to dilute the Glut solution.

If you want to 4ppm Glut in your tank, you have to dose 12ml of 2% Glut solution.
Dosing is also depend on other factors such no of plants in the aquarium. Your tank contain atleast 4ppm in every alternate days.

Your plants will also do best in 9ppm. But start with 6ppm.

First day: 3 ml
third day: 5ml. Keep it 5 ml for some days and see the result. If no bed effect on fishes, increase the dose slowly.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by earnest »

thank you for the quick reply. So I should aim for 12ml but begin with 3ml and dose it every alternate day. Thank you.
What about the fertilizers? Is there a need to add macro and micro nutrients. How much and what dose should i use?
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

Plus I personally would suggest you to reduce light! 3WPG would require pressurized CO2 injection for sure..no wonder the plants died! even with glut. reduce light asap!! fert dosing is a mandate IMO! the reason i say so is because, the moment you increase light nutrient in terms of carbon/macro/micro is needed if not provided the chlorophyll disintegrates after all the carbohydrate content of the plant mass reduces hence the death!!
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I would also like to suggest you that it is necessary to have a correlation between LIGHT, CO2 and FERTILIZERS. If you have strong light, fertilization and CO2 is must.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by earnest »

Thank you Rajiv ji and Abhradip.
Have noted the point about reducing light. How much light should I use then? sorry i missed mentioning fert dose.. am not sure about the dose qty.
shall keep u all posted and look for more tips
thanks again
Last edited by earnest on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zico_aqua

Unread post by zico_aqua »

IMO 1.5WPG should help grow amazon quite nice!
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

Any updates?
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !