Betta - Care-Tank-Compatibility ?

Forum for discuss about Betta fish.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Betta - Care-Tank-Compatibility ?

Unread post by deepesh »

Err... I hope you guys don't mind my chipping in as a non expert.

Jibran's "small" space is about 1 FOOT cube. Pretty reasonable I guess. Can we go on to the next question please?

Water parameters: from what I read soft is nice but tap water should be fine. People swear by IAL, I dare think other leaves like guava and mango too should be ok. Can try dried banana leaves too.
Temperature: tropical. While many people do mention a fixed temperature Bettas can probably take it in to the low twenties. I would not heat the tank until 20 degrees and probably keep it 20-22 in winter.
Feeding: whatever the other fish get. Bettas are probably mainly insectivores so meat based foods. Mozzie larva are a greatly appreciated as are adult mosquitoes as long as you don't squash them totally when killing them. Fruit flies too.
Tank mates: my Bettas ignored all tankmates, even long finned guppies. But it makes sense to avoid mixing Bettas with fin nippers and those with long flowing fins that can't keep out of harms way. Some goldfish and some guppies. I was stupid and lucky in the past. And Bettas can't really swim compared to barbs or tetras. They are hopelessly outclassed by these. Even plakats.
Inverts: probably not safe with shrimps. No personal experience, just what I have read. Mine would examine snails very closely but never harmed them.
Decor: would avoid sharp/jagged decor with long finned Bettas. For plakats I would not worry so much.

Edited later: Bettas can jump. My veil tails would try but their tails kept them down. Plakats probably can jump clear out off the water.
Last edited by deepesh on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

shergill00 wrote:Going little off the topic. Guys every time i have heard this 2 fighters can't live. But one of avid fish keeper here in Chandigarh was almost 10-11 bettas with female in a single tank. The tank was heavily planted just jungle like with lot of live plants and female was pregnant at that time. Had i not seen it myself wouldn't believe it. Any particular reason for it that guy managed to pull it off. Tank was i think 4ft x 1.5 ft x 1.5 ft.
someone in the forum mentioned that if hatchlings are left to mature in the same rearing tank, they peaceful to each other.i have never tested it but i guess its possible for a limited period of time.
Sushant
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

Not a Sr or Expert, but this is what i have from my 2 yrs of betta keeping and breeding
Ideal Tank size: length i have kept Halfmoons, plakats both in max size of 2 ft, no issue is swimming, they used to love it, but yes, dont like high water flow, which is understandable from their natural habitat. I have always kept them in tank in which height is not more than 9 inch, as they are are surface breather and again there natural habitat is not tooo deep. most kept them in 9*5*5 inch, they breed a lot in this size also.
Water parameters : Mine have breed in Ph of 7.6 also, hardness never measured, but used the mix of RO and tap water 50-50
Temperature :min 20 max 32
Feeding :Love this part, chicken mince, mosquitos, blood worm dried, tetrabits, roomifex, earthworms, dried egg yolks
Tank Mates : Most alone, with Half moons i wont try any fast fishes or snippers, plakats are very hardy and aggresive
Invert compatibility :In the breeding talk i used to have lot of ram horn snail and MTS
Tank Décor :Kept in heavy planted and plain also., but i would recommend some plantation, if not heavy. Bare tank is boring to them, unless you are keeping 2 betta tanks side by side and will provide them some time for adrenaline rush :)

Juvenille male you can keep together in a lil bigger tank, something like 2 ft, but one mature them surviving together highly unlikely. Females also you can keep but once in a while there will instances where a dominant female will hunt other out, i have lost females in fighting tooo, so its not they will not fight. you have to watch, but yes chances are less.

Getting good quality betta is a fight as you already know from your own experience, same source might have excellent quality at one point of time at other time they might now have.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Syed has summarized very well. I too have seen females fighting!
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

You can try it. Once you jar out the females and isolate them for a day and then put them together in same tank they'll fight.
---
Amol
syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

Matrix wrote:You can try it. Once you jar out the females and isolate them for a day and then put them together in same tank they'll fight.
From my experience, its more about the individuals, some will fight from day one, some will fight once they are ready to mate, some will remain peacefull, no mater you jar them or not.
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

Thanks for chipping in guys. Lets see what others have to say...
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !