Two questions. Re: flash and macro lens

Post your quires related to aquatic photography.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Two questions. Re: flash and macro lens

Unread post by deepesh »

I have a 650D.

I was looking for an off camera wireless trigerred or opticaly slaved flash. The shopkeeper has suggested a manual flash. ETTL flashes are in striking range especially Nissin or Yongnuo but he was suggesting manual for off camera flash saying that ETTL will not work on off camera wireless remote nor on optically slaved unless one goes really high end. So that's my question... What would the experts suggest?

The second question. Who all have used the nonL 100mm macro? Should I go for it?

Truth be told this is not really for fish but for work. I need to photograph other people doing fine work. Therefore the need for an off camera flash and a macro lens that will do double duty as a short telephoto on a crop sensor body.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Two questions. Re: flash and macro lens

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

deepesh wrote:I have a 650D.

I was looking for an off camera wireless trigerred or opticaly slaved flash. The shopkeeper has suggested a manual flash. ETTL flashes are in striking range especially Nissin or Yongnuo but he was suggesting manual for off camera flash saying that ETTL will not work on off camera wireless remote nor on optically slaved unless one goes really high end. So that's my question... What would the experts suggest?

The second question. Who all have used the nonL 100mm macro? Should I go for it?

Truth be told this is not really for fish but for work. I need to photograph other people doing fine work. Therefore the need for an off camera flash and a macro lens that will do double duty as a short telephoto on a crop sensor body.
ttl - basically means through the lens light, this is used by the camera to measure the lighting conditions for a shot, and helps the photographer meter correctly.
ettl is supported in canon for an off camera flash, but not wirelessly, by using a ttl wire you can use.

off camera flash need not always be wirelessly triggered, if you are quite close to the subject in that case you can use a wired trigger, yongnuo does have these triggers.

manual flashes are not a problem, if the subjects distance from the flash is constant and if you can fire a few test shots and then shoot

about canon lenses i am sorry, i don't know
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

@jibran
So with wireless flash I am better off using manual flash. The other option being a cord suitable for ETTL.

Has anybody any experience with wireless triggers? Yongnuo or SMDV?
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Deepesh regarding non L 100mm macro lens of canon if you can manage go for L. It stands for Luxury range. Also there will be considerable price difference between L and non L. L is worth buy, one of my friend has been using L .
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Cash is the main reason I am going non L for the lens.

I have been reading up on the net and it seems that other than image stabilization the nonL and the L are similar in optical performance for the 100mm macro lens from canon. Of course L lenses are weather sealed but then my camera body is not so there is no advantage as of now and I don't foresee any upgrade.

But I do wish I had cash to splurge on the red rings of L lenses. heart heart
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Hi Deepesh,

I have been using corded as well as wireless flash setups for quite some time now.

TTL information transmission requires complex electronics. Also note that TTL does not always result in the correct exposure if the remote flashes are far off. Therefore, it is better to use a good quality flash with built in IR (in which case it is likely that the TTL information is transmitted) or go wired.

I have used the Nikon 105mm f2.8 quite extensively. This lens is considered the industry standard for macros and has a large enough aperture to compensate for any aberrations due to TTL transmission. The only time you need to use two flash units with this lens is while photographing in the dead of night.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Thanks for the info apuda.

How long do the TTL compatible cords extend?
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

The TTL cords are wound ones...mine extends to about 4 odd feet if I am not mistaken.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Is it possible to use the TTL cords and mount the flashes on a stand?

Also what is your wireless set up? Optical slave/ IR/ wifi?
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Apuda what did Nikon 105mm f2.8 cost you?