Sodium Bicarbonate Weight to Volume

Post the details about DIY Projects.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Sodium Bicarbonate Weight to Volume

Unread post by deepesh »

Matrix wrote: I think baking soda which we use in cooking all over India has same proportions...

I am referring to the densities mentioned in this link http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_ ... ooking.htm
Indeed baking soda all over the world is the same NaHCO3.

However let us imagine...

That you have soda bicarb with crystals 1cm across and fill up a 1l container and weigh it to x grams so the density is x/L. Fair enough!

Well afterwards somebody comes around and adds soda bicarb crystals just 0.1cm across into the same 1l container. Quite possibly he would be able to add some (y) so that they would fall between the larger crystals. So although your soda bicarb actual volume has increased and so the weight also, you 1L container need not overflow. Your measured density is now x + y/L

Now I come along and add superfine dust like soda bicarb, sure enough, I am able to add some more, (z). So now the density is x + y + z/L.

The problem I wanted to point out is that, while density of soda bicarb is fixed and immutable our measurement of volume is flawed by differing crystal sizes. I concede my above example was exaggerated but that's only for illustration. I also concede that if you exclude all air from your soda bicarb it will reflect the true density of soda bicarb. Which brings us to the question if the site you mentioned went to all this pain to measure soda bicarb.

In contrast saturation solubility is like density a fixed property and easy enough to do.

If you need not be that accurate you can just chuck all of this theory out of the window and assume 1gm of soda bicarb is 1.1ml. With a 2 ml syringe which has markings of 0.1 ml you just can't reach the accuracy demanded by 1.071 ml.

Did this help?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

40dkh or 4dkh? You two different posts.
You want to make that coloured CO2 indicator...right?

how about blindly following this composition.
Two solutions are prepared separately:
■Solution A: 0.02 g of thymol blue, 0.01 g cresol red and 2 mL of ethanol
■Solution B: 0.8 g of sodium bicarbonate, 7.48 g of potassium chloride and 90 mL of water
■A working solution is prepared by mixing 9 mL of A + B[clarification needed] in 1000 mL of distilled water

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicarbonate_indicator
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Matrix's problem is that he doesn't have a weighing scale in this range.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

deepesh wrote:Matrix's problem is that he doesn't have a weighing scale in this range.
Yes that's correct.

Thanks deepesh for that examples. I got your point.
Ok so assuming the baking soda which i have has an average density (0.934 g/ml) with small crystals (almost powder) i added 1.1ml (measured using 2ml syringe) and added in the 1000ml distilled water and prepared my 40dkh solution. Then i took 50ml of 40dkh solution and added 450ml of distilled water to it. So i get 500ml of 4dkh solution. Added the ph testing solution and its blue.

Filled my drop checker with the solution and installed it in my tank. But its been 12hrs and still the color is blue. My Co2 is pumping around 4-5bps and usually from what i read it takes around 2 hrs for drop checker to show the results.

Just waiting for the solution to give result :wait / also searching for mini weighing scale.
---
Amol
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

saikumar wrote:40dkh or 4dkh? You two different posts.
You want to make that coloured CO2 indicator...right?
40dkh. Yes want to make coloured co2 indicator solution.
---
Amol
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Did it work?

Does the pH testing solution make a difference? It should not if its the same you were using previously.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

deepesh wrote:Did it work?

Does the pH testing solution make a difference? It should not if its the same you were using previously.
showing green color. Well it took around couple of days to show the effect.

thank you guys for all the help.
---
Amol
stoudtLion
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by stoudtLion »

Matrix wrote:Guys,

I am preparing a DIY Co2 drop checker solution for which i need 4dkh reference solution. I don't have a mini measuring scale to measure 1.2g of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). I have a (2ml) syringe which can be useful if anyone can help me with the calculations.
So the question is how many g = 1ml of baking soda? (weight to volume).

Found this link on net http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_ ... ooking.htm but still want to double confirm.
Thank you for this tip baking powder converter which we found that it is very accurate.This precision was required for volume to weight of baking powder but while do it on my weighing scale for higher quantity,multiplications upwards from mini amounts, like for example from grams to pounds.I feel its very handy culinary gourmet tool.stoudt :adore
stoudtLion
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Matrix...

1) You can buy small digital weighing scales very cheap off eBay India.

2) I have already made 4dKh solution using home dry baking soda - if you want I can give you a portion of it. I have a full bottle !!