Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) availability

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) availability

Unread post by djmankotia »

Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) are night dwelling lizards native to the Indian subcontinent and surprisingly, very popular pets in Europe and Western countries. They are extremely hardy and easy to keep as long as one can supply live food (crickets, meal worms and other small insects). If conditions are right, they breed easily in captivity.

A friend of mine is looking for them, if anyone knows a good source of reptiles/lizards in Delhi (preferably) or any part of country, please let me know. Any leads are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
DJ
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius) availability

Unread post by Naufil »

rule of thumb: if its a species native to indian soil, you can't keep it. Its against the law.
A good source for leopard geckos...have you checked the Thar desert yet. Jokes apart Leopard geckos, in fact any reptile is almost impossible to import into india, because of the chinese wild life trade airport regulations are strict. Even if somebody does manage to get one in, it will cost a bomb you know.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I didn't know reptiles native to India are banned for keeping by hobbyists, I thought only native bird species were banned to stop people from catching and exporting them.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:I didn't know reptiles native to India are banned for keeping by hobbyists, I thought only native bird species were banned to stop people from catching and exporting them.
Most of the reptiles are banned.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:
Romi wrote:I didn't know reptiles native to India are banned for keeping by hobbyists, I thought only native bird species were banned to stop people from catching and exporting them.
Most of the reptiles are banned.

In a way, this is good. We have too many poachers now in India, and since the governments are saturated with corruption, the ban on reptiles will disappoint pet lovers like us, but protect the species better. So overall, it is an advantage for the reptiles as it is for the birds. ... Hard but true.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Romi wrote:In a way, this is good. We have too many poachers now in India, and since the governments are saturated with corruption, the ban on reptiles will disappoint pet lovers like us, but protect the species better. So overall, it is an advantage for the reptiles as it is for the birds. ... Hard but true.
:1
Yet, there is still hope old pal. If someone domesticates a lizard or a squirrel or even a mouse for that matter and keeps it, thats not illegal, thats okay, you won't get arrested for that. Unless that animal is a threatened species or under protection. It is however illegal to trade them and breed them for the purpose of trading them.
In the same manner we aquarists collect fish and shrimp and other things.
jack

Unread post by jack »

leopard geckos, iguawanas, frogs, taruntulas, snakes you name it and available i am pretty sure its illegal to trade and keep them but still people keep them as pet and dealers trade them....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

Jack you forgot salamandars :D
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

jack wrote:leopard geckos, iguawanas, frogs, taruntulas, snakes you name it and available i am pretty sure its illegal to trade and keep them but still people keep them as pet and dealers trade them....

Iguanas are definitely legal to keep in India, or trade. They are not native to India, that is why. The rest have innumerable native Indian species, so we should avoid them.

Leopard geckos need a lot of sun, so no one who cannot invest in a top class lighting, should keep them. Not unless they have a big house with a room that is like a glass house, permitting huge scope for natural light. Seems very very unlikely to me.

Fishes are a better choice!
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

+1
that and they also have temp. requirements that must be met in order for the lizard to carry out its metabolic activities.
Leopard Geckos are found in the Thar desert region, (I have myself caught many in the wild but only for observing not for petting) where temp. differences
between day and night can vary greatly. In the wild geckos and other ectothermic (cold blooded) animals practice 'thermoregulation', by moving into hotter and cooler areas to raise and lower their body temperatures as needed. If you observe the house lizard's daily activities you'll notice this practice.
So...an over head lamp will only provide it with a basking spot. There should be other spots in the enclosure (tank, whatever you call it) with variable temperatures and hiding spots.

Also all geckos except the day geckos are nocturnal so a natural day and night cycle is created to keep them from getting stressed. Many people consider them easier to keep than other lizards because they are tamer and smaller than most. But in the long run its not just about the temperament and size, one should also consider the habitat requirements, so that your fav. pet doesn't end up being a pain in the ass.