Keeping small birds?

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keeping small birds?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Today a bird entered in my home and I caught him. I waited his owner but no one reached to take it. Now my children want to keep this bird in a small cage. I don’t have a cage so I am keeping it in a RAT CAGE. My children planning to buy 2-3 more birds. If anybody keeping birds, please guide me:

1. Cage size for 4 birds
2. What should I feed him?
3. Any other recommendation?
bird.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Keeping small birds?

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

I used to keep a few in my childhood days ............. few flew away and few died without any reason..... after that i never ever kept any bird in cages ........

still with my limited knowledge i'll put forward few suggestions ..... just like our fishes incase of birds bigger cage is better try to get as big as u can ( 5 ' cube will be better for 4 of these ).This is " Badrika " , and they breed like crazy........ v soon u'll end up with many of these in ur cage
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Are they natives?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

pinaki_pal wrote:I used to keep a few in my childhood days ............. few flew away and few died without any reason..... after that i never ever kept any bird in cages ........

still with my limited knowledge i'll put forward few suggestions ..... just like our fishes incase of birds bigger cage is better try to get as big as u can ( 5 ' cube will be better for 4 of these ).This is " Badrika " , and they breed like crazy........ v soon u'll end up with many of these in ur cage
I had a parrot,which was given by someone when it was too small.
It lived for 25 yrs,never in cage.Slowly she was a family
member,whould fly in all the rooms.All was netted windows
for keeping for keeping cats from entering rooms.
Sometimes she ignorently flew ourside(atleast 15-20 times.
We use to call by her name and if she was anywhere in trees,building
she use to fly straight to our shoulders.
She could pronounce all our pet names,what mother and
father use to call us.Apart from that she could tell
50 odd words what we taught her.She had been photographed number
of times during our childhood till our marriage(brothers and
sisters marriage).
She was in the local newspaper for all her activities and
narrating words.
When she died(12 yrs from now)it was a moment of pain
for all of us.Still if you visit my home,you would find
a small cemented memory structure.Her name wtitten
MITHU in bengali and her date of birth(tentative arrival date
in our house and date when she died
Tht of sharing with you..
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

Somen wrote:
pinaki_pal wrote:I used to keep a few in my childhood days ............. few flew away and few died without any reason..... after that i never ever kept any bird in cages ........

I had a parrot,which was given by someone when it was too small.
It lived for 25 yrs,never in cage.Slowly she was a family
member,whould fly in all the rooms.All had netted windows
for keeping cats from entering rooms.
Sometimes she ignorently flew ourside(atleast 15-20 times.
We use to call by her name and if she was anywhere in trees,building
she use to fly straight to our shoulders.
She could pronounce all our pet names,what mother and
father use to call us.Apart from that she could tell
50 odd words what we taught her.She had been photographed number
of times during our childhood till our marriage(brothers and
sisters marriage).
She was in the local newspaper for all her activities and
narrating words.
When she died(12 yrs from now)it was a moment of pain
for all of us.Still if you visit my home,you would find
a small cemented memory structure.Her name wtitten
MITHU in bengali and her date of birth(tentative arrival date
in our house and date when she died
Tht Thought of sharing with you..
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Somen Ji, you got a great pet. Here is my love for pets from childhood.
I kept parrots, rabbits, white rats, cats, dogs and a squarrel as pets.
I caught many puppies in childhood. In fifth class, I got a small puppy as gift. I named him "Moti". I loved him very much. When I was in class 7th, Moti dead in a accident. Moti was my last pet upto class 12th. Those days I brought a fish bottle from Chandni Chowk. My father did not allowed. Around 2001-02, again started fish keeping. My father again refused but got coopeartion my wife and brother. Now fish keeping is my mazor hobby and integral part of life. My wife also started Cat keeping but after infection to my daughter in 2004, she left Cat keeping.
Today my children started with a bird. Although I dont want to keep but I also dont want to kill the hobby of children. Hope my children learn to keep birds and othet pets.
I also want to share my experiance with all parents. Please arrange pets for children to keep away them bad habbits. They will angage with peys and hardly consume time in bad habbits and thoughts.

Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by Somen »

SCORPIO wrote:Somen Ji, you got a great pet. Here is my love for pets from childhood.
I kept parrots, rabbits, white rats, cats, dogs and a squarrel as pets.
I caught many puppies in childhood. In fifth class, I got a small puppy as gift. I named him "Moti". I loved him very much. When I was in class 7th, Moti dead in a accident. Moti was my last pet upto class 12th. Those days I brought a fish bottle from Chandni Chowk. My father did not allowed. Around 2001-02, again started fish keeping. My father again refused but got coopeartion my wife and brother. Now fish keeping is my mazor hobby and integral part of life. My wife also started Cat keeping but after infection to my daughter in 2004, she left Cat keeping.
Today my children started with a bird. Although I dont want to keep but I also dont want to kill the hobby of children. Hope my children learn to keep birds and othet pets.
I also want to share my experiance with all parents. Please arrange pets for children to keep away them bad habbits. They will angage with peys and hardly consume time in bad habbits and thoughts.
Nice to hear you experience.I also kept all the above pets.We had a big house at Eastern
Coalfield where father worked, so it had a big boundary garden too.
Keep the bird as per your children wishes, but in a sufficiently big cage.Though I
beleive birds would like the extended and wide sky to fly,cages are just too small
and the entire freedom of birds are lost.If possible convience your children to let it fly free.
Somen
GauravSingh
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by GauravSingh »

Rajiv ji, that is a Budgerigar. Kindly shift it to a bigger cage as soon as possible. You can feed him thoroughly washed or boiled vegetables, bajra, kangni. Various branded food and treats for them can be bought from Laxmi Nagar shop or Big Fish. Make sure you put fresh water preferably RO or filtered in her cage and at least change it twice - thrice daily.

Please go through this site for all the information you need
http://www.budgerigar.com/
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

GauravSingh wrote:Rajiv ji, that is a Budgerigar. Kindly shift it to a bigger cage as soon as possible. You can feed him thoroughly washed or boiled vegetables, bajra, kangni. Various branded food and treats for them can be bought from Laxmi Nagar shop or Big Fish. Make sure you put fresh water preferably RO or filtered in her cage and at least change it twice - thrice daily.

Please go through this site for all the information you need
http://www.budgerigar.com/
:1
Sushant
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

This creature belongs to the skies. The owner's name is Mother Nature. Release it and it will find its way around.I do not advocate bird keeping as a hobby. Take your children to Asola Wildlife Sanctuary. They will learn about kites, bushchats, shrikes, pipits and many more species.