Keeping small birds?

Discuss and Post about pets other than aquatic.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Keeping small birds?

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Better give it to bird Sanctuary than releasing it in open......because this bird had been kept in cage since it was born. Hence it's chance of survival in open sky is too less.....
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

pinaki_pal wrote:Better give it to bird Sanctuary than releasing it in open......because this bird had been kept in cage since it was born. Hence it's chance of survival in open sky is too less.....
The bird was followed by a crow when itentered in my home.

I will keep it during summer vacations. After that I will give it to someone.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

As already pointed out, these are australian budgies. These are breed in india, these are not wild caught. They are prolific breeders, given the right condition. They small but intelligent birds.
In native land australia, they are considered pest as they create havoc on fruits. This birds is one of the oldest pet birds, their breeders registered society date back to something like 1880 in england, thats how old is this bird in pet world.
Please give it a lil bigger home. Do save them from chuchundar (asian house shrew), it attacks these birds at night and kills them from neck.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I have provided a cage for this bird and opens the cage daily for one hour in closed room. I dont want to keep this bird in cage. I hope after some she will live in my home without cage. She is also welcome, If she flew away.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

syed.ali

Unread post by syed.ali »

I personally feel that its better to have them in bigger cage than letting them fly as these are not from wild nor are they native from india, so the moment they will fly out, they will be caught by eagle or crow, I have personally seen it several times. They cannot just survive in wild.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

syed.ali wrote:I personally feel that its better to have them in bigger cage than letting them fly as these are not from wild nor are they native from india, so the moment they will fly out, they will be caught by eagle or crow, I have personally seen it several times. They cannot just survive in wild.
I ensure that no any crow enter in my home. I know that are unable to survive in wild. So I want to make them tame.

Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

apuda2010 wrote:This creature belongs to the skies. The owner's name is Mother Nature. Release it and it will find its way around.I do not advocate bird keeping as a hobby. Take your children to Asola Wildlife Sanctuary. They will learn about kites, bushchats, shrikes, pipits and many more species.
There is no question of releasing this bird in India. It is a not a native species, but a Budgerigar (please google it), a foreign and completely domesticated variety of it. It will not survive, and if it does, it can be just as damaging as introducing a fish to native waters. Please show a side photo so that I can confirm the ID for you.

I have kept Budgies (a short name used for this Australian parakeet), they are the most popular pet among parakeets in the world. They can be kept singly, but getting another one will be good to give it company. All the information is available on google since this species is tremendously popular worldwide. Please get it a larger cage, at least 2 feet long, and keep it safe from cats by hanging it from a place where a cat will not be able to reach it.

This bird has reached you through Destiny. Since I believe you are a religious person, Rajiv, I hope you will understand the helplessness of pets like this that are abandoned and left to die, and our duty as human beings to be of help to them if we are capable. If you give it a home, and get it another bird, (cheaply available, around 100 or 150 rupees, I have seen budgies on sale for just 25 rupees for a young bird near Red Fort, Old Delhi, but you can save on the money spent on going there, and just buy it for a more fair price from a local pet shop in places like Karampura and Laxmi Nagar, or see OLX pages for a nearby seller).... Your two children will never forget the experience and learn a lot about how to treat living thigs with humanity and consideration.

If for any reason, you do not wish to spend on a new cage or a new bird, please set a good example by taking this bird to the Jain Hospital in Chandni Chowk (world famous) and give it to them. you can also call up Sanjay Gandhi Animal Hospital Raja Garden for its adoption. Do not give it to person who treats birds like toys, discarding them after keeping for novelty and time pass..
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I will not keep it alone. Searching a suitable and beautiful male for her. She is a full entertainment in words of Vidya Balan. Today whrn I insert my hand in cage she sit over palm means she is getting tame.

Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

syed.ali wrote:I personally feel that its better to have them in bigger cage than letting them fly as these are not from wild nor are they native from india, so the moment they will fly out, they will be caught by eagle or crow, I have personally seen it several times. They cannot just survive in wild.
:1 :1

Exactly my point.

Even releasing domestic pigeons (white doves) is a cruel and arbitrary action. They are too domesticated to have a chance in the wild to live on their own. The bird will die 9 times out of 10, and it will be death long in the coming, of thirst, of hunger, and of fear (of unknown surroundings)..... Only native species of birds should be released and if you cannot recognize the species, find out the correct species before you even think of releasing it.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

SCORPIO wrote:I have provided a cage for this bird and opens the cage daily for one hour in closed room. I dont want to keep this bird in cage. I hope after some she will live in my home without cage. She is also welcome, If she flew away.
I just saw this comment. I hope in light of my previous comments, it is now understood that this bird will die a slow and painful death if it is released. It will definitely not bring you an 'punya' if you do that, Rajiv. No parrots or parakeets can live 'without cages', Rajiv. They need cages to be safe from harm, from ceiling fans, from rats and shrews (as Syed Ali points out), from children who do not know how to handle them, and from our own moods. The bird can be taken out from its cage regularly yes, but it must be RETURNED TO THE CAGE thereafter. The only place where this bird can be happy without a cage is in Australia, its native land. ... And we all know its chance of taking a flight to Australia is nil :roll: