Good plants for hardwater.

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Good plants for hardwater.

Unread post by Pintoo »

Plz suggest me good plants hardwater area. one of my relative want to keep planted tank. the water in his locality is hard and almost salty. plz suggest plants for hardwater tank.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Good plants for hardwater.

Unread post by Naufil »

How are you so sure of the water hardness, did you do a Ph test?
If your relative is so intent on keeping a planted tank, then he should try methods for water softening, otherwise he will be restricted in his choice for plants. Infact not just plants but also in the fish species he can keep.

Anyways, I also get slightly hard water. I have kept Anubias, Java Fern and Crypts without any problem. I have read that Java Moss doesn't care about water conditions but unfortunately I have no experience with it. Also, semi aquatic plants such as water Lilly might do well in such conditions. But then again an established planted tank with Co2 has automatically a low Ph.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You can go with Java moss, Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne etc.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i have 600ppm water in my area currently, TDS meter used to get the reading.

java moss/java fern/anubias all fail in this water, except a variety i got as Anubias minima which i think was not identified correctly. All other anubias died slowly but surely over months.

the plants i am still able to grow are:

1. Water Sprite Fern Ceratopteris siliquosa also called Cutleaf Water Sprite, as well as the Oak Leaf Water Sprite (correct name Ceratopteris cornuta NOT thalictroides). Both are beautiful plants, worth making them your FIRST choice. They can be grown great tied to driftwood or even floating, in addition to on the substrate.
2. All green Hygrophilas (not reds like Arcuata)
3. Bacopa Monnieri
4. Monosolenium tenerum
5. SuBwassertang
6. Cryptocoryne spp.
7. Najas spp.
8. Hornwort (both hard and soft hornwort)
9. Dwarf Lily (Nymphaea stellata nouchali)
10.Sagittaria spp.
11.Vallisneria, if it is grown as one of 2-3 species in full tank, or not at all if too many species are mixed in

This is my experience, learned the hard way. It shows you still have a good choice in plants.. but not a huge one, as far as i know.

Hope that helps :)
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

Thanks Romi for long list