Fishes keep uprooting Carpet plants

Post your queries and experience related to aquatic plants and planted aquariums
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Fishes keep uprooting Carpet plants

Unread post by smileysid »

I have planted dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo in my tank as carpet plants in ADA substrate. But everyday, I found most of these plants are uprooted. I found it very difficult to replant it almost every day, and as a result, the plants are not settling down. Currently, I found the Rosy barbs as the culprit. They shake those tiny plants like dogs.
:cry:
I fed them two times a day. What should I do?
- Siddharth Sahani | Architect | Photographer | Aqua-hobbyist| www.siddharthsahani.com
parthapratim22

Re: Fishes keep uprooting Carpet plants

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

can u show a pic of the patch size of the plants, I think they are too small. Also suggested to add fish after plants settle down.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

smileysid wrote:I have planted dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo in my tank as carpet plants in ADA substrate. But everyday, I found most of these plants are uprooted. I found it very difficult to replant it almost every day, and as a result, the plants are not settling down. Currently, I found the Rosy barbs as the culprit. They shake those tiny plants like dogs.
:cry:
I fed them two times a day. What should I do?
I agree to you. Rosy Barbs have tendency to pluck algae from leaf surface. They have to introduce in a settled aquarium.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

Rosy barbs aren't planted tank fish. They're bottom feeders and pick off the substrate for no reason at all. They have plucked off even crypts and echinodorous plants in some of my tanks. What is the depth of the substrate in your tank? Please introduce the fish after the plants have rooted well.

Cheers,

Karthik
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by smileysid »

I have 2inch ADA amazonia layer over 3.5 inches of inert gravel. ADA has been introduced recently. For now, I am getting rid of my rosy barbs for the sake of carpet.
- Siddharth Sahani | Architect | Photographer | Aqua-hobbyist| www.siddharthsahani.com